Quoted insane prices part deux

/ Quoted insane prices part deux #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Shame the other one got shut down. Something about some innocent guys basement getting flooded I assume.
In business I had to think of creative ways to solve problems. It can be done without harming anyone.
One guy owed me money, stopped payment on an expensive item he ordered I modified to his specs, then he gave me the run around. Never answered the phone or door, etc. The credit card company said I was stuck since he never received his merchandise.
Then one day I asked my wife to go with me dressed "appropriately" . Sure enough when we got there I hid my van behind bushes on street near house.
I could see guy was home...but not his wife. My wife walked alone in heels while I hid in bushes. She rings bell...I hear him say "why...he-llo!!!" At that point I walked down the bank with his item...his face red.
"He-llo! Here's your item you ordered!"

/ Quoted insane prices part deux #2  
It's not just labor. Concrete has gone up 30% here, steel is getting ridiculous. Lumber commodities are creeping back up again after taking a hit this spring... they are back to what they were last August.

I heard a good story about somebody not paying years ago... I stopped to pay somebody who had rototilled my garden. He incited me in for coffee and we started BSing he told me of doing somebody's garden a few years previously and getting stiffed for his work. 4th of July weekend he went up and tilled the guy's crop under; when the homeowner called and asked him what the " he did that for, Colbie claims he said "You didn't pay me so I thought that I mustn't have done a good job; so I did it again!"

/ Quoted insane prices part deux #3  
Well, I suppose that's better than kicking his door in and throwing the item through the opening. DELIVERED! :laughing:

/ Quoted insane prices part deux #4  
Well, I suppose that's better than kicking his door in and throwing the item through the opening. DELIVERED! :laughing:

Did you do that or had that done to you? Sure don't see where a door was "kicked" in a post above.

/ Quoted insane prices part deux #5  
I was curious how lumber from Sweden can compete price wise with the Canadian and USA lumber.
And on another note Im tickled I found made in the USA carpenter pencils.
Carry on.

/ Quoted insane prices part deux
Another good one I just thought of, a guy owed me money for something. I called, sent certified letters, all for nothing. A few months went by, they I called him. Of course, I got his answering machine. I left a message:
"Hello Mr. (Smith). I'm calling about that item you ordered. Don't worry about it anymore as I SOLD it! Have a nice day."
About 20 minutes later the guy storms in..."I'm calling my lawyer! You had no right to sell it...etc."
When he was finished I reached under the counter getting his item. "I'm so sorry, my mistake, here it is".
He got his wallet out red faced.

/ Quoted insane prices part deux #9  
It's not just labor. Concrete has gone up 30% here, steel is getting ridiculous. Lumber commodities are creeping back up again after taking a hit this spring... they are back to what they were last August.

I heard a good story about somebody not paying years ago... I stopped to pay somebody who had rototilled my garden. He incited me in for coffee and we started BSing he told me of doing somebody's garden a few years previously and getting stiffed for his work. 4th of July weekend he went up and tilled the guy's crop under; when the homeowner called and asked him what the " he did that for, Colbie claims he said "You didn't pay me so I thought that I mustn't have done a good job; so I did it again!"

OMG!!! That's terrible.... Those poor, innocent vegetables. Destroyed, never to have been consumed. :licking:That just ain't right. That guy should be ashamed of himself.

/ Quoted insane prices part deux #10  
Here is one that still burns me 15 years after the fact.
I was building a new house and got 3 estimates for the septic system in the fall. Bill's Electric $5000, Smith $5300, Jones $5800. Prices were fair but couldn't begin because of WI winters.
In the next March I decided to start building and needed to have the septic system in before the house began for various reasons.

I called Bills and told him I needed it in and to give me an updated price. April rolls around I went to his business and he stated he didn't have time yet, but was on it. I told him time was critical as the house was a one man and woman build and needed to get rolling. I knew it takes a month to get that type of paperwork through Madison, so I pleaded my case to Bill...

In May I stopped by again, and he was getting on it very soon.
In June I called him again and he said he for sure will get it going.
In July I saw him riding around in his truck so I pulled him over and told him I definitely need it very soon and he said the end of the day he would have the estimate updated. I called him later that day and he said the new price was $8500. I squawked and asked why the hike. He said the price of PVC shot up and same with the special sand that was needed.
I told him I will get back with him the next day.
I called Smith for an update on their price and he said it would raise a couple hundred.

I told him to put it in as soon as possible. He said he would have a guy walk the paperwork through Madison and order the tank etc. and would have it in, in a couple weeks. HE DID.

I started the build in August and got it closed in by Thanksgiving.

The moral is; Screw the contractors and don't be patient. It really could bite you in the butt. I learned a tough lesson that spring.