Quick hitch, now cutter shaft too short

/ Quick hitch, now cutter shaft too short #1  

gbw

Bronze Member
Tractor is JD4320, I love it. I have a Howse 72" rotary cutter along with a box scraper and rake. Received a HF quick hitch that may work, if it's heavy/strong enough. I've ordered 3 sets of pin adaptors (bushings).

The pto shaft/clutch assembly is now too short. Must have been marginal at best to begin with, but it came with the new cutter so I didn't bother to check which was a mistake.

So I have to either extend the existing shaft, series 6, or replace it. It is a sort of triangular shaft, I believe Italian. I'd have to first remove the old shaft from the yoke then install a new longer section. It looks to be pressed ito the yoke and I don't have any special tools to remove or re-install. Is this hard to do?

Other choice, which frankly looks better right now, is a new proper length S6 shafts/yokes/clutch assembly. Agrisupply lists one for about $200 delivered, and there is an eBay seller, gaequip, who has one that looks even better for $230 shipped.

Does anyone have any experience lengthening these type shafts or with either of these sellers products?

Thanks

/ Quick hitch, now cutter shaft too short #2  
Agri Supply sells PTO shaft extenders, which should make up your shortfall.

Personally, I would replace the shaft, rather than extend it. Should the shaft every separate under load, the tractor end could kill you in several different ways.

/ Quick hitch, now cutter shaft too short #3  
Agri Supply sells PTO shaft extenders, which should make up your shortfall.

Personally, I would replace the shaft, rather than extend it. Should the shaft every separate under load, the tractor end could kill you in several different ways.

I bought one of these when I bought my finish mower from them just in case. The shaft that came with the finish mower was long enough but the extender seems to work fine on my brush cutter which had a shorter shaft. I think it was $20 for the extender.

Make sure when you use the quick hitch with the mower you don't lower it to the point it contacts the driveshaft. You will also need a way to connect the top link on the mower because the hook on the quick hitch will come loose as the mower floats. I made a simple strap for mine but I need to come up with something better. My HM fix keeps dislodging the pin clip on the mower's top link connection. I'm not giving up on it yet because the quick hitch makes life so much easier.

/ Quick hitch, now cutter shaft too short
Thanks guys, new shaft it is. The quick hitch only pushes the mower back 6", so while the original shaft did work without the QH, it was still too short and possibly dangerous. I'm not really comfortable with pto shaft extenders. Not worth the risk. Next time I'll check shaft length first.

Now question is AgriSupply or eBay gaequip. Both are s6 shafts. The gaequip has a 4 disc clutch, the AS model has 2. 4 seems better but I don't know for sure.

/ Quick hitch, now cutter shaft too short #5  
1) Add a slip clutch in front of the PTO shaft. It will serve as an extender.

2) What works for my rotary mower as a floating top link is a simple loop of chain around the top of the Qhitch and around the mower's tower. The loop floats, is slack, while mowing then serves to lift the mower when that is needed.

/ Quick hitch, now cutter shaft too short
It already has a clutch, and if it didn't I'd worry that adding one wouldn't extend the shaft far enough to be safe.

I think this is a case of bite the bullet and do it right the first time: new shaft.

Thanks

/ Quick hitch, now cutter shaft too short #7  
200 - 250 for a complete new shaft and clutch assembly would be the way to go if you don't have the means to change the tubes yourself, by the time you purchase new tubes and have a shop do the work you'll be at that price or more. As for the top hook, I use a adapter instead of the hook.

Attachments

• image-2791056179.jpg
    image-2791056179.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 359
   / Quick hitch, now cutter shaft too short #8  
200 - 250 for a complete new shaft and clutch assembly would be the way to go if you don't have the means to change the tubes yourself, by the time you purchase new tubes and have a shop do the work you'll be at that price or more. As for the top hook, I use a adapter instead of the hook.

DOH! That is the same adapter I bought from Agri Supply for 10 bucks and I was too stupid to figure out how to install it. :duh: Thanks for the pic!:thumbsup:

/ Quick hitch, now cutter shaft too short #9  
Yep I made this one but it's the same as the one they sell, I have the top hook but it's but up in the shop and I never use it.

/ Quick hitch, now cutter shaft too short #10  
I was going to replace the WAY to short PTO shaft for my 3pt trencher. It uses a funky 1 1/4" keyed shaft, so I'm stuck with the OEM clutch that fits.

Drive Line Service of Fresno, CA sold me a new PTO shaft & spare Ujoint for cheaper than I could get parts to rebuild & extend my current one. Will knock off one of the couplers & attach my clutch myself. The drive-line.com guys do nothing but driveline & PTO shafts. Was impressed with their abity to identify Ujoint sizes & compatibility from memory.