Questions about welding on tractor??

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was wondering if you should disconnect the battery before welding. I wanted to install some hooks on my FEL but wanted some input before I harm anything. I didn't know if there is any electronics that can be harmed. I know on newer cars and trucks you need to disconnect the battery or you will fry the computer. Thanks for the input guys!!

Brian

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #2  
I believe that you should always disconnect the battery when welding. At work our welding shop always does. It only takes a minute to do. That way you are sure your safe.

/ Questions about welding on tractor??
Yeah I would unhook the battery,you probably don't need to but why take a chance.More importantly probably is putting your ground as close as practical to your area of welding,you don't want juice going through any thing like a bearing or cylinder or any moving part. RICHARD GAUTHIER

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #5  
My biggest concern about welding around anything with a battery would be a spark igniting any battery gas and having the battery explode. It's the same logic as making your final connection with jumper cables a ground AWAY from the battery- No sparks near potentially explosive gases.

Now I have another reason to remove the battery when I put on my hooks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #6  
Muhammad - Any chance this thread could be moved from Buying/Pricing to another area like Customization?

/ Questions about welding on tractor??
When is necessary to weld on tractor, I recommend disconnecting "-" cable from battery, then make bridge from "-" cable to "+" cable to make both sides of electrical apparatus on tractor on same potential, or switch headlights "on" if they are directly switched via key or switch (not via relay). This is particularly recommended if your tractor has some electronic devices, or even just diodes on alternator.
Second, hook clamp from welder as close as possible to welding area to avoid long current way, especially through moving parts (bushings, bearings).

And after welding is done, don't forget to disconnect "-" to "+" bridge before connecting "-" cable to battery again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #8  
WOW! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Talk about fast response... and in the middle of a holiday weekend, no less. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #9  
Now i didnt when i put my hook setup on mine but it probably wouldnt be a bad idea.

i have welded on atv's with the batt hooked up and had no problems.

heck when you go to the muffler shop they don't disconnect it. and yep the one i went used a mig.

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #10  
Unhooking the battery is like using your seat belt. You never know when you might need your seat belt, but you hook it just in case. You never know when you unhook the battery if that will be time that the welder will short out something or weld your bearing together etc. Both are just insurance.