Questions about metal roof

/ Questions about metal roof #1  

jbarker855

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 855
Hi fellas-
I'm planning on building a small (12 x 22) shed to house some snowmobiles for a few years until I get enough time and money to guild a bigger garage. I would like to use metal roof panels for the roof. I am curious if they can be fastened directly to roof rafters which will be spaced 16" on center. From what I have read, it looks like most people lay down a few 2 x4's perpendicular to the roof rafters and then fasten the metal roofing to those. Any advice is appreciated.
This thing will be relegated to a firewood shed after a few years, so I'm not looking to build this thing to the max durability, although of course I want it to be safe. Thanks in advance for any tips!
-Jay

/ Questions about metal roof #3  
You need to put something up on the rafters or the sheeting will sag in between. I have built several sheds like this and either strap it horizontally with 1x4 lumber or even better, clad the roof with OSB or plywood (1/2") and then put the metal on. You won't regret the small extra cost and work. The wood controls noise and condensation and makes it much easier to install the steel. Also, if you have to walk on the roof (to clear snow or whatever) it won't bend underfoot.

/ Questions about metal roof #4  
As above , Advise No . Metal roofing's strength is through the length not side to side . 2 x 4 is kind of overkill . I have always used 1 x 3 or 1 x 4 stock and fastened to that . Depending on the pitch of roof , a 8' metal panel could have 3 fastening points or more . The steeper the pitch would equal less possible snow load on roof thus one could use cross pieces at top , center and bottom for fastening 8' metal panels .

Fred H.

/ Questions about metal roof #5  
Jay, I,d use sheeting followed by 1by4 then attach metal to the 1by,s. The roar in a heavy rain could drive you crazy without the sheeting and won,t add that much to the cost:DDave

/ Questions about metal roof #6  
I live in a house with metal roof. There isn't sheathing under the panels. The panels are nailed to horizontal 2X4. The nails have rubber gasket to seal and are nailed to the rib somewhat off center and in 60 - 70 degree angle. The nail makes a "dimple" in the rib and because the dimple is on side of the rib it can't hold water. The builder used nails instead screws because of self healing sheet metal. The nails pull the galvanizing alloy in the hole and seal the edge while screws wouldn't do it.
Actually sheathing under the panels will cause condensation on the bottom of the metal and also holds heat at night. Without the sheathing the attic cools pretty quickly after sunset.
Before we installed attic insulation the noise was very loud during rain but with insulation it is hardly noticeable.

/ Questions about metal roof
Thanks for all the responses. Seems like a no-brainer now. I will affix horizontal strips or sheathing or both.

/ Questions about metal roof #8  
Hi fellas-
I'm planning on building a small (12 x 22) shed to house some snowmobiles for a few years until I get enough time and money to guild a bigger garage. I would like to use metal roof panels for the roof. I am curious if they can be fastened directly to roof rafters which will be spaced 16" on center. From what I have read, it looks like most people lay down a few 2 x4's perpendicular to the roof rafters and then fasten the metal roofing to those. Any advice is appreciated.
This thing will be relegated to a firewood shed after a few years, so I'm not looking to build this thing to the max durability, although of course I want it to be safe. Thanks in advance for any tips!
-Jay

I used 2x4 purlins across the rafters on my 20x28 shed. It's the correct way to install a metal roof.

DSCF0164 (Small).JPG

DSCF0172 (Small).JPG

DSCF0176 (Small).JPG

DSCF0177 (Small).JPG

/ Questions about metal roof #9  
I have observed that laying metal directly over sheathing results in very rapid corrosion of the underside of the metal due to the condensation being trapped between metal and wood.
So much so that in less than 10 years a galvanized roof was total scrap.
You need to let air circulate under the metal!
That condensation can get so bad (depending on climates) that on some cases the dripping actually wetted attic insulation to the point that the gyprock ceiling in a home was costantly water damaged.

My wood shed is tin roof, and in spring with cold snow on top combined with warm spring air inside the shed, the condensation is so severe that it literally rains inside!

/ Questions about metal roof #10  
I plan to put a metal roof on the retirement home that I'm building. The roof will be trusses with 2 foot spacing. Over the trusses will be Avantech Zip roofing panels. The Zip panels will have the seams taped over with Avantech's Zip panel tape. (They claim this will make the roof rain tight up to 120 days). The insulation will be cellulose in the ceiling.

I have heard just about every way there is to install metal roofing panels to prevent condensation:

Some say to put down a 15# or 30# layer of felt over the sheathing, then the metal panels; in other words, not to use purlins or the metal will condensate like crazy; enough so that the water will find it's way through the layer of felt.

Others say just the opposite, that putting metal panels over sheathing (or sheathing with felt) will enhance and trap condensation and accelerate corrosion of the under side of the metal; and that you should put down 1x4 purlins (with drain holes cut into the bottom of the purlins to allow trapped water to run down the roof), then the metal over the purlins.

Avantech says that with their Zip panels, just put the metal directly over their sheathing. That the superior resin in their Zip panels makes even a layer of felt not necessary.

So far, I am leaning toward Avantech's recommendations, (but I still wonder how any trapped condensation will escape from between the sheathing and the metal, what with the metal tightly against the panels).

What say you metal roofing experts ?

My only experience with metal roofing panels is:

I build a 12x12 storage shed. I used boards for the roof. Put felt over the boards, then the metal. That was 3 years ago; I haven't noticed any problems yet.

About the same time, I built a 20x24 carport. Just like the commercial ones, I put the panels horizonally directly over the metal 'trusses'. There are times when the condensation is so severe that it appears like it's raining under the carport.

Thanks,
Arky