Question for you master mechanics

/ Question for you master mechanics #1  

RBManufacturing

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 8N / Kubota B 6200. Kubota B 7100. Modified wards lawn tractor. Souped up.
I bought a 1976 postal jeep for new toy. Plan to use around
farm, as well as fun. Has original 232 c.i. 6 cyl. automatic.
Sandblasted entire body and re-painted bright red with small
yellow flames on hood. Undercoated, added passenger seat
up front, and two small bench seats in rear. Tuned up. New
carb, new electric fuel pump, new coil, electronic ignition
module, new plugs, wires, rotor,fuel filter, and much more.
Ran fine for a few weeks. Now, sometimes it starts well,
and runs 5-10 minutes then starts loosing power, missing
out, and dies. At first it started right back. Now it usually
will not start, and when it does, it misses, and dies again.
All valves appear to be opening and closing as they should.
I removed valve cover to watch. HELP! Also, if I decide to
ditch the 6 cyl. and put in a 302 c.i. v-8 from a ford, will I
have to put in a voltage regulator etc. or will the electronic
ignition module work for the v-8 like it did for the 6 cyl.???
It appears that the voltage is regulated by the iignition
module now. Any major problems you see in the switch?
Any help appreciated! Rick /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Question for you master mechanics #2  
Fuel filter/flow problems ? Every old Jeep I ever fooled with had a rusty gas tank.

/ Question for you master mechanics #3  
If it runs OK for a while that suggest the engine mechanicals are probably OK. I'd look at fuel or electrical. My best guess would be fuel pump, fuel filter, carb float/needle/seat or some such thing. If all that checks out, perhaps coil or condenser in the ignition.

Of course, I'm far from a master mechanic so you should also check the muffler bearing and rotate the air in the tires just to be sure /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Question for you master mechanics #4  
Rick,

Just an observation, but it seems as though you are hitting the ENTER key every time you get to the end of the posting window section. If you notice your posts don't extend as far as everyone else's.

As you type your message, it should automatically line feed for you -- the ENTER key is normally used to generate a new paragraph.

/ Question for you master mechanics #5  
Unlike the others, I would tend to believe that it is the
electronic ignition module. My reasoning for this is because
it runs fine for 10 minutes and then the trouble starts. I
believe that this is a result of the module becoming hot
and the circuitry is breaking down. Check the spark when
this happens again. You should still be getting a strong
spark if the module is working properly. If not, replace
the module. If you think that this is fuel related, a quick
check would be to pour a small amount of fuel down the
throat of the carburetor. If it starts and runs briefly, it
might be the fuel. A improperly adjusted float in the
carburetor is also a remote possibility. If I had to pick
between the fuel and the ignition, my bet is on the
ignition..
Don't forget to put a tilt meter on it if you are going into
the woods with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Question for you master mechanics #6  
Check the fuel system. The filters are probably clogged. Tthere is probably one in the carb inlet too, which likes to hide. If they are clogged, you may have a buildup of junk in the tank too.

People dropp v8's in Jeeps all the time... Never heard of the voltage regulator issue... Might check 4x4 magazines or web sites for engine swap info. The factory six though, is a preety good torque motor.

/ Question for you master mechanics #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Fuel filter/flow problems ? )</font>

Gets my vote. Those are classic symptoms of a clogged fuel filter or plugged tank vent.

SnowRidge

/ Question for you master mechanics #8  
Rick,

You've certainly received some excellent suggestions.

Some of the in line six Jeeps were known for wearing out the distributor. Might want to check for excessive play in the distributor shaft while you are checking the rest of the things that were suggested.

Jim Fisher

/ Question for you master mechanics
Hi Guys,
To elaborate further, I went back to the original ignition module, and original coil. Same problem, so I by-passed the gas tank with a hose and went straight to a gas can. By-passed fuel filter also. I am waiting on a pick-up for distributor. It does not have points or condenser. Most of the replacement things I would have done anyway. All obvious things have been done. It is probably going to be one of those freak things going on. BTW, I removed muffler bearings and replaced them with turbo bearings. Also de-flated tires to replace air. Two are finished, but gotta rest my lungs before I fill the next two. 302 v-8 is looking better all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Question for you master mechanics #10  
Rick,
I don't know what ignition is in that year of Jeep, but does it have a ballast resistor on the fire wall? If it does and it is bad, they can cause it to cut out and or run bad. They are real cheap or the ones that I have replaced always was. Looks like you have tried everythng else. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif