Question for those who live in California

/ Question for those who live in California #321  
CA has more than doubled its number of "residency audits." In the unquenchable pursuit of more tax income
These are audits to determine if someone claims residency in an income tax free state.

In Texas we have just started checking to see if property owners are claiming Homestead Exemptions on two houses. You can get a sizable deduction in some cases for a homestead exemption so some people with more than one residence will try to file for Homestead exemptions on both places. You are only allowed one homestead per couple in Texas.

It seems pretty stupid to me but I do know some that have done it. Another reason we need to eliminate property taxes completely.

/ Question for those who live in California #322  
I know several that had a hard time proving they had left California...

The revenuers will go to the far ends of the earth in search of taxes.
I can see somone moving out and trying to claim a house is a B&B when it's not really but how would it be so hard to cut ties to a state? Just sell out and move.

/ Question for those who live in California #323  
The list includes club memberships, doctors, pet groomers, auto tags, tax professionals, driver and professional licenses, children in or out state tuition, number of days in California as in keeping a daily log with backup, voter registration, cemetery plots, business ties, etc.

In simple terms say you left the state but kept a fishing cabin for vacation use California will move mountains to assert the cabin is your domicile.

Something about having to be able to document your location 365 days a year stokes me as way past over the top.

/ Question for those who live in California #325  
Yep. $100/300K is far more than the cost of repair/replacement of vehicles. And it’s not hard to max out the medical payments for a serious injury.

But look at those limits...

/ Question for those who live in California #327  
In simple terms say you left the state but kept a fishing cabin for vacation use California will move mountains to assert the cabin is your domicile.
We own a ski cabin in CA but they won't be able to reach us for other reasons. Too many roots and time spent in Nevada.

Regarding a fishing cabin, I purchased a lifetime fishing license while I was a CA resident-- and before moving out of state. At the time I bought it, once you had a lifetime license you still have fishing privileges even if you moved away. Not sure if that is still the case, but it works for me.

/ Question for those who live in California #328  
   / Question for those who live in California #329  
It seems that people who don’t live in CA think everyone lives in San Francisco or LA which has the worst reputation. Those cities are less than 10% of CA population and DO NOT reflect the quality of life addressed by most of the population