Question about airing up loaded tires

/ Question about airing up loaded tires #1  

devodad

Silver Member
Tractor
JOHN DEERE
Hi guys, I have a 4 wheel drive John Deere tractor with FEL and loaded rear tires. My question is, when airing up loaded tires, do you still follow the recommended psi marked on the tires? Do you use air or liquid? What if they are already above the marked psi rating?

/ Question about airing up loaded tires #2  
I used the same air pressure and I only checked the pressure and/or added air with the valve stem at the top (12 o'clock). Then I always first gave them one short blast of air to clear the valve stem of liquid.

/ Question about airing up loaded tires #3  
FOR SURE - listen well to what Bird says...... Otherwise, whatever fluid you have in those rear tires could really foul and ruin a good tire pressure gauge. I run my big 'ol rears at around 16 psi - its whatever pressure it takes to obtain full chevron contact when parked on a hard surface. And since I run that nasty, sticky RimGuard - I give the valve stems a double blast to ensure all the goop is back in the tire.

/ Question about airing up loaded tires
OK thank you both. I kinda thought that would be the way to go but just wanted to make sure. I just recently retired and am having fun (most of the time) with a little one-man farming thanks again.

FOR SURE - listen well to what Bird says...... Otherwise, whatever fluid you have in those rear tires could really foul and ruin a good tire pressure gauge. I run my big 'ol rears at around 16 psi - its whatever pressure it takes to obtain full chevron contact when parked on a hard surface. And since I run that nasty, sticky RimGuard - I give the valve stems a double blast to ensure all the goop is back in the tire.

I like your tag lines

/ Question about airing up loaded tires #6  
As Bird wrote,also check valve stem cap for dirt etc. before screwing back on.

/ Question about airing up loaded tires #7  
there are more expensive "pressure gauges" that can handle fluid better. if not. get yourself a couple tire gauge cheapies some place, so if they foul up from gunk of the fluid in tire. you can keep on going. and still have a better regular tire gauge for everything else.

have had issues with rocks, dirt clods, ruts, etc... getting into the tire valve. so as soon as i realize i lost the cheap end caps for the valve stems, they tend to get tossed on to the top of the buy/todo list. before i get a larger issue with the valves stems.

generally i fill tires right up to the valve stem with fluid, with valve located at 12 o'clock position. and then drain a little bit of liquid out., then pump tires up to wanted PSI with air. draining just a little bit of fluid out, so i am not splashing myself ever time i go and check air pressure in fluid filled tires. granted still some fluid gets in valve stem just from rotating tire. but just a little blast, vs trying to connect a garden hose nozzle to a garden hose without kinking the hose or turning off the water, and getting sprayed.

normally do not run MAX PSI in any of my tractor tires, fronts or backs. more so the backs. the FRONT's if there is a FEL (Front end loader) on tractor, and i know i will be using FEL. then tires tend to get inflated to max psi. if to much pressure, make sure valve is at 12 oclock position and let some air out. hopefully only a couple quick burst of fluid comes out, that was in the valve stem. having a rag in hand around valve stem and tool to remove air, can be handy, to keep yourself clean.

loosing a tiny bit of liquid when check tire pressure, not going to harm anything. it is when the tires are say only half full of full of fluid, and the fluid begins sloshing around in the tires, that things could get dangerous on hills. i do not remember what is recommended amount fluid filled tires are, i want to say 78% or 80%. which is basically right to the valve stem when at 12 oclock position.

Thanks for all the tips!

/ Question about airing up loaded tires #9  
Before checking loaded tires, might be better to lift wheel off floor first, then 12, then blow some air to clear valve, then check pressure with tire gauge thats designed for loaded tires.

Thank you. I will follow your advice. I didn't know there are air gauges specifically designed for use on loaded tires. If any dirt gets into the valve stem, does it react with the liquid and cause damage or is it just a matter of keeping dirt out of the stem to avoid leaks?