quad ruts

/ quad ruts #1  

spitter

Platinum Member
Tractor
simplicity legacy tc29d,Tc45d,Cs 2520
I have 2 kids with quads needless 2 say i dont have a lawn anymore . basicaly a rutted up field about 4 acres. Dont realy care but makes cutting grass less than fun.worst off keep spilling frosty beverage in cup holder :mad: Just purchased new holland tc29d for this and many other spring time jobs.What is best for getting it back to somewhat smooth ?Imthinking large lawn roller when grass is wet or box blade.NOt looking for perfection because its going to happen again.THanks for input

/ quad ruts #2  
The box blade will work for sure. Not sure about the roller though. I guess it depends how deep they are. If you have an unlimited budget I'd say a harley rake. In my opinion nothing works better but they are expensive. Around here not many places rent pto attachments but maybe an option to rent one around you.

/ quad ruts #3  
Two shovels, two rakes, two wheelbarrows, and get a load of topsoil delivered. Put those punks to work! ;)

Are the ruts from sinking down into the mud, and pushing mud out to the side? If so, the compaction is not too bad. I'd say box blade used gently is the best tool, with some additional topsoil shoveled into the box before you go over the ruts. The box will distribute the topsoil into the ruts as it cuts down the rut sides.

If the ruts are just compacted into dry soil, that is tougher to handle. A pro lawn expert or landscaper would tell you that the soil is permanently compacted, so the only good options is to dig way down and loosen up with a tiller. Either that, or just add topsoil over the top and level, but realize the grass won't grow too good.

/ quad ruts
Mowing is an issue because ruts are so deep that deck gets banged up and down winds up plowing throw high spots.Needless to say what it does to my back .Dont think simplicity designed there decks to work as a plow . Blades in dirt no beauno.

/ quad ruts #7  
I have the same issue with ruts. Last summer I filled the ruts with dirt I drove over with the tractor to compact but the next rain the water just sat and settled in so that area is always soft now Its in an area that I have to travel through with atv or tractor so now its a mess again.

/ quad ruts #10  
Not sure what is best. As s219 said, it depends on what kind of ruts. Compacted earth, or displaced earth.

Either way, a roller isnt going to cut it. At least not one you can buy. They just arent heavy enough. And if it is soft enough to kinda work, your tractor is going to make a bigger mess than the roller can fix.