Putting the garden to bed for the winter

/ Putting the garden to bed for the winter #1  

RoadGear

Bronze Member
Tractor
TC55DA MFWD EHSS 12 + 12
Hi guys!

Well, it's that time again! Time to clean out our little 70' by 120' vegetable garden and get it put to bed for the winter. The weather in Michigan has been really screwy this summer, so we didn't want to get caught having to clean out the garden in rainy cold weather. We decided to get to it this past week while the weather is good.

Here's some pics -

First off, the TC55 getiing her bucket filled up with geenbean/tomato vines. If I really packed it tight, I could get about a row and a half worth in it. We still had to use our trailer for corn and sunflower stalks, but it's SO much easier to unload the bucket! :) (P.S. that's the "boss" over on the left side of the pic - she's just checking my work! ;))
3977084043_c9c0cab7fc_o.jpg

Here's the TC55 coming out of the garden with yet another load of "greens". Momma was too busy so I had to get off and take the picture myself.
3977084651_7f5d3627cd_o.jpg

Got a shot from the driver's seat while I was heading back to my "compost dump/deer feed lot" back in the woods. Just after I took this shot I hit a chuck hole - I though I was going to swallow the camera! :eek:
3977085119_ddd7f46e43_o.jpg

With all the "greens" cleared out - it's time to rototill. Here's the TC55 wearing the KKII 6 foot tiller.
3977847884_27e16c9550_o.jpg

One thing we always have a good crop of around here are rocks. This is one of about a dozen that the KKII dug up. I'm sure there are plenty more.
3977086421_334e109c63_o.jpg

Is this beautiful or what? I just LOVE that King Kutter tiller! ;)
3977086875_c68314489c_o.jpg

Mike :D

/ Putting the garden to bed for the winter #2  
Nice work Mike.

Looks like you have beautiful place there. And a nice tractor outfit too. The Boss didn't look too hard to work for :D

About the tiller vs rocks, do you lose a shear pin when you bring up one the size in the pic?

My garden needs its Fall clean up, you are making me feel guilty.

Dave.

/ Putting the garden to bed for the winter
Hey Dave!

Thanks for your compliments! The wife and I are pretty proud of our little farm and we consider ourselves lucky to have it. As far as your shear pin question goes, I've yet to have a shear pin go with rocks this size but the ground is pretty loose. They sure make a heck of a noise and make the tiller jump but I have seen no damage to the tiller or gearbox so far.

/ Putting the garden to bed for the winter #4  
That is awfully good looking! Do you just leave it as-is over the winter?

azz

/ Putting the garden to bed for the winter #5  
Mike,

That's good to know that the tiller holds up. I have similar rocks and I know how my walk behind tiller jumps when it hits one. I have sheared two bolts on the tine shaft so far. I think I am down to whatever gets frost heaved into tiller range now, but they do keep coming.

Dave

That is awfully good looking! Do you just leave it as-is over the winter?

azz

Thanks azz! We have several hundred pounds of composting cow manure/hay/straw that I've bunked behind our loafing shed. I will probably bring several bucket loads up and spread on top of the garden and let that sit over the winter and then till it in in the spring.

/ Putting the garden to bed for the winter #7  
Hi guys!

Well, it's that time again! Time to clean out our little 70' by 120' vegetable garden and get it put to bed for the winter. The weather in Michigan has been really screwy this summer, so we didn't want to get caught having to clean out the garden in rainy cold weather. We decided to get to it this past week while the weather is good.
With all the "greens" cleared out - it's time to rototill. Here's the TC55 wearing the KKII 6 foot tiller.

Is this beautiful or what? I just LOVE that King Kutter tiller! ;)
3977086875_c68314489c_o.jpg

Yesterday My Wife and I was just discussing doing that very thing with out little ole 8 plant tomato patch.
Love my 48'' KKII tiller.

Yesterday My Wife and I was just discussing doing that very thing with out little ole 8 plant tomato patch.
Love my 48'' KKII tiller.

Hey L.B.! Nothing like a spin with the KKII is there? ;)

/ Putting the garden to bed for the winter #9  
Thanks azz!

That's what happens when a 2-year old is sitting on your lap when you're trying to type something. I knew he hit the keyboard, but I couldn't figure out where. Now we know.:D