Purchasing my first sub-compact. Massey Ferguson or Bobcat?

/ Purchasing my first sub-compact. Massey Ferguson or Bobcat? #1  

thbarrons

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1723E
Great information on this board. When researching my purchase it seems like most of my google results led me here. What I've seem to have learned is that the dealer proximity, relationship & reputation are very important in purchase.

With that in mind I'm currently trying to decide between Massey Ferguson GC1723E and a Bobcat CT1025. The diff in HP is only because of the dealers stock. The #1 thing I will do with either of these is road maintenance. I have a 1000' private gravel road with a little bit of hill in it. I live in Northern Michigan. In normal winter I expect most hours on it will be snow blowing, I'm only looking at front facing snow blowers, I'm too old to be craning my neck around to drive backwards. I'm also certain I will be grading and thinking about adding back blade/box also? And I'm certain I will find other things to do with it in my wooded 15 acres.

I'm also looking at a cab enclosure on these models since snow is #1 task. On these small tractors the cabs almost look silly but comfort wins that battle. What I'm concerned about is summer chores, the cabs on these are heated, no A/C, and they seem to be permanently installed, or at least not easily removable, would love to hear some thoughts on this subject, maybe soft cab option?

I've been all over the web reading reviews and watching videos, and I've read everything I can and understand the technical diffs. Still this is a tough decision. Both machines seem very capable for my tasks. The prices are within a couple hundred bucks and both are currently offering 0% financing which is hard to refuse. The MF dealer is closer, the MF has better warranty and has been on the market longer. But the Bobcat specs seem just a little better all around for the same price.

So I'm looking for that last bit of information to help tip the scales on the decision on which brand/model. Thank you everyone for any feedback you give.

/ Purchasing my first sub-compact. Massey Ferguson or Bobcat? #2  
I've had a Gc2310 for going on 17 years. Other than fluid and filter changes, a battery and a ground wire "Ellie" has been more or less bulletproof.
A 1000' of driveway in N Michigan during a storm is a pretty good stretch for a sub compact of any make.
I'd be looking at a utility size tractor with more weight and hp.
Without knowing your budget look at a MF 1835. Similar but beefier than the 1723 and can be had with a factory cab. The factory cab has heat/ac, opening glass etc. The ones you are looking at, if cabs are available, are after market, lacking fit and finish.
Just my 2 cents on how to spend your 10s of Ks.

/ Purchasing my first sub-compact. Massey Ferguson or Bobcat? #3  
I have the predecessor GC1725 and as masseyrider said, it has been pretty bulletproof. But as someone that also maintained a 900 foot gravel driveway with 50 foot elevation change between the state road, down to the creek, and back up to the house for 7 years using a back blade and a land plane: do yourself the favor and get yourself a utility model. You won't regret the higher HP. Any ground engaging implement, like the blade or land plane really eat up a lot of that hydrostatic power. We had it all paved in 2021; COVID pricing was decent, so no longer an issue. Here in northern VA we don't get snow routinely, so I make do with a rear mounted snowblower, but I'm in my 40s and sit side-saddle to save my neck; I push the pedals with my left foot.

/ Purchasing my first sub-compact. Massey Ferguson or Bobcat? #4  
welcome to the forum, wise to post your intentions here. can't help specifically on those models.
but my overall observation on this compact forum is that many here purchase a tractor, then soon regret not going up in hp/weight. then they post threads about exceeding the safe limits with an undersized machine, etc. the more weight the better in any tractor.
given your location, understand the need for cab. good luck w/purchase

/ Purchasing my first sub-compact. Massey Ferguson or Bobcat? #5  
I know you're asking about 2 models, but I also would recommend a compact utility in the 30-40hp range. The cabs will likely be larger, more comfortable, and better outfitted. Easy to spend someone else's money though.
I upgraded to a 40hp compact tractor with a cab. Its primary purpose is snow duty (much less snow than your area), and light fel work around the property. It is soooooo comfortable!

/ Purchasing my first sub-compact. Massey Ferguson or Bobcat? #6  
Of the two you listed, I would get the Massey. But please, take advise given and look at a slightly larger machine with factory’s cab.

The Massey 1835M with cab is a very nice rig and would suit you very well. That said, it is pretty pricey. I know Kioti makes a CK2620 cab. I suspect you could get the same model in a Bobcat. You would appreciate the added weight and HP of the Massey, but the CK 2620 (or Bobcat equivelant) would be considerably less expensive and would get you by, just slower.

/ Purchasing my first sub-compact. Massey Ferguson or Bobcat? #7  
I know you're asking about 2 models, but I also would recommend a compact utility in the 30-40hp range. The cabs will likely be larger, more comfortable, and better outfitted. Easy to spend someone else's money though.
I upgraded to a 40hp compact tractor with a cab. Its primary purpose is snow duty (much less snow than your area), and light fel work around the property. It is soooooo comfortable!
agree. OP: are you within striking distance of Kioti dealer? if so, i'd also be considering mid 40 hp w/cab, my understanding is that Kioti builds their platform slightly heavier than Kubota.

/ Purchasing my first sub-compact. Massey Ferguson or Bobcat? #8  
The Massey would be my first choice also. You can maintain everything you have said with it.
I would also shop by dealer support, parts inventory. If they don't stock basic maintenance parts (oil filters, oil, air filters, hydraulic filters) go to the next higher volume dealer that is close that does stock parts.

/ Purchasing my first sub-compact. Massey Ferguson or Bobcat? #9  
I bought my Massey GC2610 in 2010 rather than the Bobcat because the hoe was attached by a subframe rather than the three point which seemed to be too much hassle to use. The next size unit ws 50% more money and just too expensive for a "toy" I don't regret buying my tractor but often wish it had bigger tires, was a bit heavier and had a little more power in the loader. Similar syndrome to the boat owner who always wants a bit more. Good luck with whatever you get.

/ Purchasing my first sub-compact. Massey Ferguson or Bobcat? #10  
Great information on this board. When researching my purchase it seems like most of my google results led me here. What I've seem to have learned is that the dealer proximity, relationship & reputation are very important in purchase.

With that in mind I'm currently trying to decide between Massey Ferguson GC1723E and a Bobcat CT1025. The diff in HP is only because of the dealers stock. The #1 thing I will do with either of these is road maintenance. I have a 1000' private gravel road with a little bit of hill in it. I live in Northern Michigan. In normal winter I expect most hours on it will be snow blowing, I'm only looking at front facing snow blowers, I'm too old to be craning my neck around to drive backwards. I'm also certain I will be grading and thinking about adding back blade/box also? And I'm certain I will find other things to do with it in my wooded 15 acres.

I'm also looking at a cab enclosure on these models since snow is #1 task. On these small tractors the cabs almost look silly but comfort wins that battle. What I'm concerned about is summer chores, the cabs on these are heated, no A/C, and they seem to be permanently installed, or at least not easily removable, would love to hear some thoughts on this subject, maybe soft cab option?

I've been all over the web reading reviews and watching videos, and I've read everything I can and understand the technical diffs. Still this is a tough decision. Both machines seem very capable for my tasks. The prices are within a couple hundred bucks and both are currently offering 0% financing which is hard to refuse. The MF dealer is closer, the MF has better warranty and has been on the market longer. But the Bobcat specs seem just a little better all around for the same price.

So I'm looking for that last bit of information to help tip the scales on the decision on which brand/model. Thank you everyone for any feedback you give.

I have been through the same journey as you. I originally had a Kubota BX2380, which I really liked. At the time I had 1.5 acres but did a lot of landscaping due to it being a new house build for us. We (the wife and I) built a "water feature" in our backyard. It was 100 ft long and consisted of 20 tons of rock, which the Kubota moved in its entirety.
In 2019, we purchased 22 acres and built another new house. Again, a lot of landscaping to do and moving a LOT of dirt. The BX2380 was no longer up to the task, so I purchased a Kubota B2601. The step up in size was a game-changer for what I could do. The problem was that there were a number of things I did not like about B2601, and after two years, I started to hate even getting on it.
One day, I stopped at the local Kioti dealer and drove a CX2510 with a cab. I was sold. The tractor just seemed sooo much better built, and of course, the cab is phenomenal, with heat and AC standard. This is not an aftermarket cab, but rather it is designed and built by Kioti. I can't say enough good things about the Kioti, which is coming from an admitted Kubota fanboy. LOL.

My driveway is about half as long as yours, but I also have a large-ish turnaround. A larger tractor with a cab would suit you a lot better IMHO. I too live in the snow belt (not this year, apparently) of Wisconsin, so I am very familiar with plowing snow. The extra weight of the larger tractor will help in all of your snow operations.

Kioti (Daedong) makes Bobcat tractors, FYI. Interestingly enough, it appears that Bobcat does not have the equivalent of my CX2510. Bobcat has the CT2535 which would be the equivalent to the Kioti CK3510, I think.

I will bet that once you sit either a Bobcat or Kioti with the factory cab, you won't look back.