Pumping diesel fuel

/ Pumping diesel fuel #81  
I talked to my supplier yesterday. He has a lot of deisel equipment. He said all he has ever run in them is #2 heating oil. According to him, it is higher in sulfer, but better for the engines. In the winter, he cuts it with 50% kerosene. Unfortunatly, he said he would only deliver to a "certified" tank. He has had problems with leaks and liability. So now I have got to figure out a way to pump oil out of my indoor 330 gal tank to a 55gal drum outside with out making a mess and at not too great a cost.
David

/ Pumping diesel fuel #82  
Thanks David, being able to use from the main oil tank will save allot of hassel. I bought my tank used (very cheap) an mounted it on top of a stand for gravity feed. I don't think you would have any trouble finding a small 100 gallon tank that would be "certified" and could be filled at the same time your inside tank is filled.
PJ

/ Pumping diesel fuel #83  
<font color=blue>There has been comments both ways regarding the use of heating oil for tractor use. The experts out there please continue to advise.</font color=blue>
I don't pretend to be an "expert" but my heating oil supplier confirmed that the heating oil they deliver to my home is the same stuff they sell as "off road diesel". Only difference is the addition of red dye and higher sulfur content. Higher sulfur is better for the engine, even though the new ones are designed to be able to run on lower sulfur fuels. The lower sulfur is only because it is better for emissions (less sulfur dioxide output which turns into sulfuric acid ie "acid rain"). Higher sulfur means higher lubricity and is better for you're injectors. While technically you can run straight kerosene (which by the way is basically what jet engines use), it will cause accelerated wear and is NOT good for your engine although a 50/50 split is probably fine. My 3 cents!!! (Which has been gleaned from people I DO consider "experts"!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Pumping diesel fuel #84  
Re: Pumping--static?

I get a lot of static electricy cracking sounds, apparently emanating from the body of the hose, when i pump diesel from my tank. Should there be a ground strap? How do you install it?

steve

/ Pumping diesel fuel #85  
I think there is some disagreement on the subject of sulfur in diesel fuel.

No fuel or engine manufacturer that I am aware of is saying that sulfur is good for a diesel engine or that it serves as a lubricant. As mentioned, it forms sulfuric acid, not only in the exhaust, but in the crankcase as well. This is not good for oil.

Several refiners (Chevron in particular) have a lot of excellent info on their web sites about this very subject.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/diesel/L2_2_5_fs.htm

/ Pumping diesel fuel #86  
Gerard, thank you, your information is very much appreciated.
PJ

/ Pumping diesel fuel #87  
wdn, THANK YOU!!! also my back thanks you. I went to Home Depot and bought the same pump. I can't believe how much easier it is than trying to balance myself and the 6 gal. diesel can to fuel my NH 1920 (fill is on front hood).Thanks again.

Bill C