Pump & Well system

/ Pump & Well system #1  

laen64

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335 SST;FERRIS IS 1500Z 25hp 52"
I've decided on a 2.5 hp 4" Cycle stop valve system with a 47 gal tank.

What are your thoughts guys?

I'm supporting a 5-6 Br home with 4 people normal laundry and a sprinkler system with up to 5 zones.

Thanks in advance
L.N

/ Pump & Well system #2  
2.5 HP is a lot of motor, your water must be VERY deep.
In any case with a sprinkler system you will want to place enough heads per zone to keep the pump continuously running. You do not want a water flow so slight that it keeps cycling your pump off and on. KennyV

/ Pump & Well system #3  
Using it for house and irrigation is going to be tricky if the well isn't very very, deep with that HP. Taking a single shower with a water saver shower head will make that thing rock and roll. A pressure regulator fine tuned might help.

/ Pump & Well system #4  
Does seem like a bunch of hp. I have a 1 hp jet pump with a 11/4" feed line and I am getting 70 psi in the house.

Actually, I was worried that I had it set too high, but been running it that way for about ten months with no failures.

/ Pump & Well system
Wow! How could I best design this system and make it cost effective?

Thanks

/ Pump & Well system #6  
How deep is your well?
What is your desired PSI & GPM?
Without this information we don't have much to base any advice. At this time I will only say that the more/bigger storage tanks, the better. Anytime you can keep the well pump from constantly turning on and off, the longer it should last. It takes more power, and places more stress on the motor if it is starting and stopping all the time verses starting and running for several minutes while it refills larger tanks.
Another way of looking at this is how long would the starter on your tractor last if you shut it down , then restarted it every time you loaded the bucket.

/ Pump & Well system #7  
Yup, you size the pump to the wells capability in gallons per minute... didn't the well contractor give you his estimate of the wells production capability?

/ Pump & Well system #8  
What The Dougster said is very important also. If you run away from your supply you'll start to cavitate the pump resulting in worn impellers, etc. Another good way to shorten its life. Whoever drilled the well should have flow rates for the that well. Doug

/ Pump & Well system #9  
If you get one of these 3 hp Flint and Walling 4" Submersible Water Well Pumps (3 phase pump)
fw-4f-10-pump-curve.jpg

and you get one of these
1214.jpg

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Driv....html?osCsid=938fb5ae31b035c0afe13523c7048340 (single phase to 3 phase variable frequency drive)

You will have a pretty neat system. The VFD can be setup to gently ramp up the speed on the pump, and ramp it down, which may be important if your supply is marginal or running on emergency power. The pump will last longer and the operating frequency can be shifted to take into acount changes in the wells delivery (lower frequency if delivery is low and higher if the well can keep up and you need more water faster).

Basically the VFD makes for a very smooth flexible to operate system and it is cheap today.

/ Pump & Well system #10  
That variable speed pump is something that has come along since I worked on pumps. It is like the variable speed HVAC systems. They are great. It would be a great system. I would be very interested in what you consider "cheap". I still do sewage pump work, the last large system I installed , the control box cost more than the pump.