Pulling Tilling Equipment

/ Pulling Tilling Equipment #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
I am thinking of getting a disk or plow for my tractor (45hp LS XR4145C). I need some advise from those who till with their smaller tractors.

Backstory:
I have been mowing a neighbors field for the last few days after work. Its about 10 acres of grass and heavy weeds. This is my second year of doing this for him.
My neighbor expressed to me that he would like to do something else with the land. The land, like everything else in my area, is on the side of a rather steep hill. I dont feel comfortable "side-hilling" as it feels like I will roll the tractor, so I go up and down. The bottom is rather flat, but has big dips and undulations that make mowing a rough ride.

The owner asked if I have a way to till the land, reseed it with grassy pasture mix, so he can potentially have a few cows or horses. No disrespect to him, but between you and me, he is not a rancher or farmer. He most likely is not get into raising livestock. I believe he is simply tired of looking at the weeds which predominate the land.

I told him that I have a 6ft rototiller that I could bring over. It would probably take two or three passes at different times to make the field dirt. It would take a very long time to get this done. But that I would look into getting other tillage equipment.... and seeding equipment.

(now before I get flamed for purchasing equipment to do a job for one neighbor, once, he is offering to pay half of the cost of equipment plus my hourly rate to work the ground. This all depends, of course, on the price of the equipment. He feels like this is a solid investment for him, me, and our community since I do tractor work for all my neighbors. And he is not the first to ask if I had bigger tillage equipment. I may not take him up on this offer. If inexpensive enough, I may just get the equipment required, to leave no issues.)

I am thinking, if we move forward with this, that a pull type disk would be best suited. That would help level out the ground and do a better job than a 3pt. Besides, I have more experience pulling disks like that growing up on the farm. But those were 15ft on flat ground.

I looked around for a pull type, tandem style, adjustable disk that my tractor could handle. I did find one. The TW5 Series from Tufline. But no other info on these, and there are no dealers in my area. Woods Equipment makes a good one, but is too big for my tractor. Same with LandPride, though theirs claim to be 45-100hp, but is that up hill? I have access to a pull type, offset disk... that is about 3ft wide. A bit small.

Questions:
Is my tractor strong enough to pull a 6ft disk (or larger) if I find one, up hill?
Should I look at a plow instead? Thoughts about differences between plows and disks?
If so, would it be better to pull a packer behind the disk or plow, or separate? (more on this below)
Seed drills, should I look at those too? Or would a simple solid fertilizer/salt spreader on an ATV work? (he has one)
What kind of price am I looking at for new?
What disk, plow, seeder would you recommend?
What about cultivating if plowed?

About the packer behind the plow, that's how we did it on the farm. Pulling a packer behind the disk smoothed out the ground for seeding. I would think that would eliminate the tracks of the tractor that may be there is pulled by itself? That would add to the weight the tractor would have to pull, so not ideal, but would save on passes and probably leave a better finish.

Other than the garden, I have not tilled the earth since I left the farm over 20 years ago. We had large equipment and large land. It was never really an issue if a tractor could pull something though the field. Using a small tractor to do small farming is almost completely foreign to me.

This guy owns a field of weeds, that really needs help. Even if it went back to weeds, tilling the ground would level out the bumps and make mowing those weeds faster and easier. This job really does need to happen.

Thank you to all for comments and suggestions.

/ Pulling Tilling Equipment #2  
Based on what little I've done, I don't believe tilling or discing alone will smooth out rough ground. The dirt doesn't just need to be broken up, it needs to be moved. I'd say that would require a box blade or land plane of some kind coupled with a disc. Alternating passes, disc, blade, disc, blade ....

Some here will probably say it needs to be dozed.

But then again, we don't really know what you mean by rough.

All that said, I'll be watching other replies because I have a very similar situation. I have a spot about 30-40' wide and 2-300 feet long that is riddled with highs and lows from years of rain runoff and mole runs. Very tough to mow and not get bounced around. I'm thinking of having a neighbor come in and disc it after which I would till it, but his machines may be too big.

/ Pulling Tilling Equipment #3  
A Disc Harrow only smooths land when pulled at a brisk clip, so thrown chopped soil displaces from where it was cut.

Pulled slowly, pan cut dirt falls back where it originated.

Disc Harrows and PTO-powered roto-tillers both mix soil. Both are considered secondary tillage implements.

A moldboard plow inverts soil. It is a primary tillage implement. You have to disc after plowing.

An Offset Disc splits the difference between a Disc Harrow and a Plow. Offset Disc is considered a primary tillage implement.

Pull type Discs generate more draft resistance than Three Point Hitch mounted Tandem Disc Harrows because all the Disc Harrow weight is on the pans, no implement weight is supported by the tractor through the hitch. The largest diameter pans your 4-WD LS XR4145C can manage is 20" in diameter. Consider Monroe Tufline TW9721220, 22/20.

Monroe Tufline is the only producer of 'big ag' tillage implements for compact tractors.

After discing, a Box Blade, a Box Blade with gauge wheels at the rear or a Land Plane Grading Scraper are other smoothing options for ten acres.

A Hoelscher Dirt Pan will cut and transport soil still covered with sod. Much faster than the other options you could use a Dirt Pan moving up and down the sloped field.

VIDEO: Hoelscher tractor dirt pan - YouTube

T-B-N ARCHIVE: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/414080-what-best-attachment-leveling-120-a.html

Photo illustrates how much wider than harrow dirt is thrown when harrow is pulled briskly. Tandem Disc Harrow is a Howse 16/18. Howse is no longer in business.

Attachments

• DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
   / Pulling Tilling Equipment
The field used to be a hay field, from what I was told. Judging by the size of the pine trees growing up in some spots, I'd say the field has not been tilled for at least 20 years. The undulations are from various sources such as rain washout, bushes growing up, someone went mudding in the low spot years ago, and animals.

I dont think I would need to move the earth, but just smooth it out some. The unevenness is more annoying than anything, bouncing back and fourth and needing to slowdown over rougher areas. The rotary cutter rarely cuts into the ground anymore. After the second time of mowing it, and running the blades into the dirt, I went out and smoothed out the larger mounds with the FEL.

It really is a nice piece of land. Just not managed for decades.

I saw that thread you linked to Jeff, thats how I found the Tufline disk. But there are no dealers near me. That disk would be perfect, as far as I know.

Jeff, would you recommend plowing this piece then? Or do you think disking would be enough?

We rarely plowed on the farm. After harvest, we would pull the disk though the field once or twice and let it sit till spring. Then we would fertilize the field before disking one more time, just to mix in the fertilizer. Then we would seed.
When we plowed, we crossed the furrows at an angle with a cultivator, to smooth them out. This was spring work, while the plowing was done in the fall.

/ Pulling Tilling Equipment #5  
Disc should do it.

Call Monroe Tufline about delivery. Tufline may have you pay a Tufline dealer near the factory, then ship direct to your land.

I speculate considerable Tufline equipment is used in the Palouse.

/ Pulling Tilling Equipment #6  
If the land is steep tilling up & down will lead to lots of erosion.

For 45 HP consider a three bottom Plow & contour plowing. Use the disk after plowing again following contours.

[video]https://images.app.goo.gl/GxU1rbaZbpDLvSJa6[/video]

/ Pulling Tilling Equipment #7  
If the land is steep tilling up & down will lead to lots of erosion.

For 45 HP consider a three bottom Plow & contour plowing. Use the disk after plowing again following contours.

[video]https://images.app.goo.gl/GxU1rbaZbpDLvSJa6[/video]

I would not attempt to rototill 20 years dormant ground until first plowing and discing it. While it could be first rototilled, doing so would shake the fillings out of you and your machine and it'll be slow going for 10 acres as you will be busting hard ground on the leading edge as you creep forward. Also, depending on rocks present you may damage your tiller by bending teeth or jamming rocks between teeth and housing. Plowing will turn weeds under and rip roots, whereas rototilling will tend to clog up the tines with debris and roots. Agree with previous post on contour plowing. Perhaps set your tires and wheel as wide as possible for this job. That screws up plow settings but it can be done. A rototiller leaves ground surface quite smooth. If not rototilled, a spring tooth or other harrow does a fine smoothing job after the dirt dries out. A broadcast 3 pt spreader and spring tooth harrow pass after preparing the soil works fine for planting seeds. If you are not comfortable driving the contours then don't do the job - rollovers are not worth it. I just turned down a 2 acre job that a fellow thought I could just enter and rototill. He had used a weed killer after mowing it. I told him I'd want to plow and disc then rototill. Not in his budget. Also, not sure what tires you have but don't try to plow or disc with turf tires; they will slip too much.