Pulling Large Shrubs

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #21  
Bo,
Fishing line stretches like crazy before it breaks. We need more posts from guys and gals with chain breaking experiance.

Chris

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #22  
Bob:

I was thinking he meant an extra rim between the tractor and shrub.
But I have seen logs chained to cat tracks to get them out of muddy/soft spots.

Egon

/ Pulling Large Shrubs
OK. I'm the original poster or the guy with the large shrub problem!

The tire rim is actually an old steel rim that would be placed close to the shrub and the chain would go from around the shrub, up to the top center "V" of the tire rim, and then the chain would go directly to the rear tractor drawbar. I was told by a local rancher that the tire rim would help give an upward force while the tractor is pulling the chain and hopefully the shrub. The pull chain would never touch any of the tractor tires. (Sorry for any confusion).

I have gotten so much information just from my asking this question. And as I said in my first posting, I am just starting out with my new JD 790 - so I really need the info & advice.

All you TBN'ers are fantastic !!!!!!!! Thanks SO MUCH!!!!

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #24  
I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here, but the fear being interjected into using chains to pull things, having them break, and flying dangerously in either direction is not very well founded (IMO).

A chain, (unlike a nylon rope, nylon fishing line, or anything that stretches and builds up energy), is unlikely to stretch, break, and fly around. Now that being said, it does not mean you can let a chain go loose, and then get a running start and give it a big jerk. All bets are off, as the one message stated - the hook may come loose and then something flies dangerously away. Chains seldom break, especially with the size tractors we are talking about. If they do, they drop to the ground.

I don't mean to imply one shouldn't be careful when pulling things. But if you are pulling from your tractor drawbar, and don't jerk the chain, you should be quite safe and not have to worry.

Be very cautious when using a nylon or synthetic rope, no matter what. If it stretches and breaks - don't be in the line of fire. There is a reason that rope pulling contests DO NOT use a nylon rope or the like for pulling (at least they shouldn't be). Many accidents of lost fingers, thumbs, hands, and other injuries when the stretched rope breaks and recoils through the hands and amongst the bodies of the pullers.

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #25  
What I was refering to with the cross ties under the bucket was to lay a log or crosstie down on the ground next to the shrub where the FEL bucket would lay. Lower the bucket down onto the log/crosstie. This would put the bottom of the bucket up off the ground. Attched the cutting edge of the bucket to the shrub at ground level under the branches using a log chain or strap etc. Now curl the bucket up then let it back down. Take up any slack in the chain/strap and repeat. After several tries you will sork it out of the ground. You will also have to axe any problem roots and soak the ground before and during the process. You need the log/crosstie support under the bucket or as you curl it will squish your tires, break an axle, or just pull the loader down towards the ground.

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #26  
Never had any personal experience with a chain breaking, but when I was on the volunteer fire department, I helped fight a big grass fire that resulted from a chain break. A tractor/trailer truck was moving an old mobile home and he got stuck off the edge of the road, so they attached a long chain from his truck to a loaded tandem axle dump truck that was going to pull him out. The chain broke, snapped back with enough force to strike a spark, and ignited dry grass. Don't think I'd have wanted to be between those trucks when the chain broke.

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #27  
Beenthere,

Theres been another thread on this subject months ago. Breaking chains are dangerous and there were comments and pictures and such in that thread.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=owning&Number=47675&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1>Pulling Stumps</A>

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #29  
Seems to me, it's OK if a chain breaks, as long as the force is directed away from you. To accomplish this, why not use a chain which has one link significantly weaker than all the others (but strong enough for normal use) and locate this link at the tractor end? That way, if the chain breaks under tension at the weak link, nothing comes your way.

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #30  
On large or soild stumps you might make a half hitch (thats what folks in my area call it) it is a choker type set up. if you set your chain right it will spin your root ball 1/3 to 1/4 turn befor the chain gets to a straight pull. this will make a difference when pulling stumps.