Pull starting an L1500

/ Pull starting an L1500 #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a L1500 that will not start with the starter. There seems to be no electrical connection at the starter. I have been pull starting it, but I have to pull it a long ways before the engine starts to turn over. I have tried it in all ranges and gears, but as soon as the clutch is released the differential kicks in and one wheel will try to spin backwards. Any suggestions on shortening the pulling lenght ? Thanks.

/ Pull starting an L1500 #2  
Check your fuses in the fuse block on the left side of the dash console, under the little black/grey cover with the screw in the middle. Also make sure the ground is good on the starter. If no juice running to the starter, look real close at the fuse block, if juice but it doesn't engage, then look real close and clean all contacts for ground.

/ Pull starting an L1500
It may be that the safety switch at the clutch is open and will not close when the clutch pedal is depressed. The starter on my L1500 occassionally would not work. I jumped the switch and have not had a problem since. This switch is down by the clutch pedal and has connectors. Unplug the connectors and put a jumper between the wires between the starter and the starter switch. Then make sure that you only try to start the transmission in neutral.

If you have not already done so, get the Intertec Shop Manual K-1. It covers the L175, which is the U.S. version of the L1500. I have found it invaluable and it costs less than 20 bucks.

/ Pull starting an L1500
These tractors rely on glow plugs to start. If it cranks over and over without starting often the glowplugs are burt out.
They are little pencil type fittings next to the inlet manifold branches, with a loop wire joining them.

Remove then and hold them with a pair of pliers then earth the body and put live battery terminal to the electrical connector on the tip.The tip which fits inside the head should glow red hot within seconds. If they dont , thats your problem, and just replace the glowplug (s).

With everything functioning normally, the glowplugs are preheated (turn starter switch to the left) hold on for 20-30 seconds. Then start. They should start nearly instantly, with clean fuel and clean air to the engine.

Other factors can also affect the starting but if the gowplugs are burt out , they just dont go.