Spreader Pull behind spreader recommendations?

/ Pull behind spreader recommendations? #1  

johncanfield

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 with cab
I've been scouring the internet looking at pull spreaders and there a bunch of them in the $250-500 range. I wanted a commercial quality spreader and thought I found one at ABI attachments but I'm not sure. Their current production model doesn't look nearly as good as the one in their latest catalog and it's about $1k with shipping. The price is okay but...

Any recommendations for a commercial pull spreader for my Mule? Obviously I'm not looking for homeowner quality.

/ Pull behind spreader recommendations? #2  
I've got a Gandy drop spreader, works great for my needs, easy to fill, low maintenance.

/ Pull behind spreader recommendations?
Wasn't thinking about a drop spreader but there are advantages of that vs. broadcast. The Gandy products are exactly what I'm looking for in quality.

Thanks for the tip Gunny :drink:

/ Pull behind spreader recommendations? #4  
How often do you plan to use it?

What capacity are you needing?

I'll have to look in my shed to see what brand I have but it's been good. Got it free off Craigslist because the wheels were frozen. Hopper holds a full bag of rye and I can pull it behind my tractor without tipping it over.

Use would be very intermittent to drop seed and/or fertilizer. I'm planning on attempting to improve some of my pastures and have a little grass around the house. Maybe 15 acres of pastures and a couple of acres or so around the house. We raise blackbuck antelope (an exotic) to sell to other ranches.

/ Pull behind spreader recommendations? #6  
Don't know if it will help you or not, but I found mine through a rental company that was replacing equipment that had depreciated out for tax purposes. You might check auction and surplus equipment sites.
I got a very good deal on mine.

/ Pull behind spreader recommendations? #7  
Mine is the little 85lb capacity Agri Fab with exposed gears. Sounds like you will want something larger with an enclosed gearcase.

Check out the offerings at Tractor Supply.
Lawn Spreaders at Tractor Supply Co.

The Tarter may suit your needs.

Thanks guys for the recommendations, I really appreciate the help.

/ Pull behind spreader recommendations? #9  
I use the Lely ground driven pull behind model in my turf business. It fits my needs well, but it cost a lot more than some other models.

It is a true 'commercial' spreader. But....they are a little over $5000. Here is a link. Ground Drive Broadcast Spreader | Lely Ground Driven WFR

/ Pull behind spreader recommendations? #10  
I use the Lely ground driven pull behind model in my turf business. It fits my needs well, but it cost a lot more than some other models.

It is a true 'commercial' spreader. But....they are a little over $5000. Here is a link. Ground Drive Broadcast Spreader | Lely Ground Driven WFR