PTOs and SubCompacts

/ PTOs and SubCompacts #1  

gtrippleb

Gold Member
Tractor
NH T2320 TL
I'm wondering if all sub compacts are this way or if it's just the ccy sc2400.

I picked up a chipper this week and finally got it hooked up. I go to use it, turn on the PTO and start to get off the seat and the tractor shuts down. So I start the tractor back up and once again turn the PTO on and lift out the seat. Once again, the tractor shuts off. I'm thinking to myself is there some lever or button I need to push/move in order to use my chipper? So I come inside, get the manual out. Looking in the manual, it says NOTE: This tractor cannot drive the Power Take Off (pto) unless the operator sits in the seat. When the operator leaves the seat while the Power Take Off (pto) is engaged, the safety interlock system stops the implement and the engine. So according to Cub Cadet, in order to use my chipper, I have to have someone sitting on the seat while I stand and load branches into the chipper. Either that, or I have to (don't tell no one) bypass the safety switch in order to use my chipper.

I see quite a few people using pto chippers with their scuts so my question is:
1. Do you have someone sitting on the seat while chipping?
2. Did you bypass the safety interlock switch?
3. Do other brands allow the PTO to work without someone on the seat?

I understand the safety issues but I know someone isn't going to want to sit on the seat for an hour or two while I chip up some branches.

/ PTOs and SubCompacts #2  
O my BX1500 you tilt the seat forward and then engage the PTO and there is a bypass switch that engages when the seat tilts forward.

/ PTOs and SubCompacts #3  
On my JD 4110, you raise the seat and pull the seat switch UP for off-seat PTO use. Some other JD (smaller and economy) models do not allow it just like yours without "alteration" or "modification"

/ PTOs and SubCompacts
After a "modification" the chipper works pretty good.

/ PTOs and SubCompacts #5  
I have a very full tool pouch on the back of my seat that adds enough weight to fool the switch, Yeah, it used to bug me too, and I drove around with a rock in the FEL for a while :)

/ PTOs and SubCompacts #6  
You have to bypass that seat safety interlock...not recommended, but a weight on the seat is the easiest thing to do.
I don't understand why some manufacturers (including Deere) do this. It reduces the usefulness of the tractor and it doesn't seem like a low cost item like that seat switch could save much money (in manufacture).

/ PTOs and SubCompacts #7  
You have to bypass that seat safety interlock...not recommended, but a weight on the seat is the easiest thing to do.
I don't understand why some manufacturers (including Deere) do this. It reduces the usefulness of the tractor and it doesn't seem like a low cost item like that seat switch could save much money (in manufacture).

Agreed, my brother "modified" his and wound up chasing it across a field; once captured he reversed his "improvement".

/ PTOs and SubCompacts
It would be nice to have a seat bypass switch as like you say, it reduces the usefulness of the tractor. It wouldn't have cost that much to add one either. Some kind of weight would work too, like ayelvington said.

/ PTOs and SubCompacts #9  
Although it's never recommended to bypass a safety feature; if you do, make sure there is no way the tractor can accidently go into gear.
With a gear transmission, it's easy...just put the range selector in neutral (assuming the tractor has range selection...some old iron do not). Don't depend on just putting the gear shift lever in neutral.
With a hydro, I'll have to assume there is a neutral position in the range selector. Last (and only) hydro I drove was an old Deere 855 and I cannot recall if that had a neutral position.

/ PTOs and SubCompacts
With it being hydro, it only goes if you step on the forward or reverse pedal. So when I'm chipping I put the parking brake on and lower the fel to ground tipping the bucket into the ground. I figure this way of somehow it tries to go forward, the parking brake should stop it. If the parking brake doesn't stop it, then the bucket will dig into the ground. I decided that once I'm done chipping, I undo the "modification". This way I don't have to worry about the modification causing any problems while I'm doing other things with the tractor or when the wife decides she is going to use it.