PTO yoke

/ PTO yoke #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
First I want to say a thanks to whom ever suggested to secure one end of a frozen PTO shaft and pull on the other end with a come-a-long while spraying PB Blaster on it. I obtained an old NH manure spreader and the PTO shaft would not telescope. After about a day with tension and some PB blaster it came loose.

So now the end that attaches to the tractor it pretty rusty. The button that locks the shaft on the PTO I think is beyond repair. I have been spraying it for several days and tapping it with a sledge and it will not budge. The yokes move very nicely on the crosses so I don't think I need to replace the whole thing. I was thinking of just replacing the one end with the PTO connection. I was looking at TSC and noticed there are various sizes. How do I determine which size fits the cross on this shaft? Also any suggestions on removing the rusty clips that hold the yoke on the cross?

/ PTO yoke #2  
They're held in with circlips, which might be covered up with dirt and/or rust. They're on the very outside of the cross, and are removed with circlip pliers and a flathead screwdriver tip. After both clips are removed, you put the yoke in a vise and tap the cross out. I use a socket of the appropriate diameter, and a little 3 pound sledge. Installation is the opposite of reversal (but easier without the rust)

Or - if you can remove it without damage to the old yoke - just buy a replacement pin and spring: http://agrisupply.com/pto-shafts-accessories/c/3500000/c2c/ln/ . Or a replacement yoke with a built in pin. FYI - last time I bought a cross from them, end caps and circlips were included.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / PTO yoke #3  
Drill, heat or grind out the old pin and replace it with a new one.

The shaft lock button (really a spring loaded pin) is a replaceable item.
I have seen them listed from time to time and probably your dealer has them in stock.

I believe those pins are universal in design.

Shucks, I made one using a 3/8 rod and a found spring that fitted.