PTO Top Link, is Kubota brand necessary?

/ PTO Top Link, is Kubota brand necessary? #1  

LADPT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240 GST & Mahindra 4530
I recently bought a used L4240. It had no top-link so I’m picking one up tomorrow.

Kubota wants $356 for theirs.
TSC is $58

That’s a huge difference. If the TSC gonna work fine? Is there any reason to pay $300 more for the Kubota oem?

/ PTO Top Link, is Kubota brand necessary? #3  
I don't know how a name brand one works. I've only ever used off brand and home made. One time we had a blue one here, maybe it was even a Ford. But it went missing before I ever had a chance to use it.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / PTO Top Link, is Kubota brand necessary? #4  
I recently bought a used L4240. It had no top-link so I’m picking one up tomorrow.

Kubota wants $356 for theirs.
TSC is $58

That’s a huge difference. If the TSC gonna work fine? Is there any reason to pay $300 more for the Kubota oem?
The quick and true answer is NO !

Top Link prices at name brand tractor dealers (or via their parts ordering) are among the most outrageous ripoffs in the entire tractor world. There is NOTHING any better about a Kubota (or Massey or Deere or New Holland or ...) OEM top link than the $58 generic one. Maybe smoother paint or finish. Make sure the length range (twisted fully in and twisted fully out) is right for what you are doing and your implements. Normally 3pt hitch stuff is listed as Cat 1, 2 or 3. "Pick the one that fits" which may mean going to another L4240 or closely similar tractor (on a lot at a dealer or another owner etc.)and putting the generic one up against the brand name one for approx match in size and looks of strength.

Hey, you have a Mahindra 4530 -- right ? The top link should interchange just fine between your 2 tractors ! (roughly same HP , size, category machines.) Try the TSC generic link and your Mahindra link back and forth between both tractors. Should all be just fine.

Good idea to get the operator's manual and see whether it says your 3pt hitch is Cat 1, 2 or 3 (I think it is a 2...) but regardless you need to have and use that booklet anyway. They are readily available on-line and not extremely expensive.

OBTW you can go buy an hydraulic top link for about $100 more than the outrageous $356. If you have an available hyd remote on your tractor and want very handy and useful toys for your inventory I'd buy the hydraulic top link.

Note: I have some older B2150 Kubotas and the top link anchor point on the rear of the B2150 tractor is just slightly too narrow for the generic TSC top link to fit. Roughly 1/8" too narrow. I ground about 1/16" off each side of the pin hole in the tractor end of the generic top link and have been using it for years with a bush hog and other 3pt implements. I do not know how much anchor point width is there on your L4240 -- but you will find out in the educational trial swapping of top links among your tractors.

/ PTO Top Link, is Kubota brand necessary? #5  
Regular price is under CDN$199

I'm using a non-K hydraulic top link. Bought mine on sale all-in under CDN$200 with hoses and fittings. Doesn't matter if it's non-K, just need to figure out the correct length for your machine. I wish mine hade a 12" stroke instead of 10.

Most expensive manual top link is CDN$69

• Good Post
   / PTO Top Link, is Kubota brand necessary? #6  
I bought a manual top link for my 1982 Ford 1700. Don't remember the exact price but it WAS under $100.

Geeze - for $300 you are almost up to the price of a good hydraulic top link. That is - if you have the hydraulics already set up for a hydraulic one.

• Good Post
   / PTO Top Link, is Kubota brand necessary? #7  
Just make sure it's stout built. Lots of stress on the barrel and threads. Mine are drilled and tapped for grease fittings so they turn easier.

/ PTO Top Link, is Kubota brand necessary? #8  
My manual top link had no grease zerks. So.... twice a year - remove the top link from the tractor - totally disassemble - grease the heck out of the threads on both ends - reassemble. It's not that big a job but a couple of grease zerks sure would have made it easier.

/ PTO Top Link, is Kubota brand necessary? #9  
We use to buy top links 50 at a time for 16.00 a piece from Tisco all different lengths.

/ PTO Top Link, is Kubota brand necessary? #10  
The color won't match. Your neighbors will continue to make snide remarks about it. Best to operate only at night until the new one rusts up. If you get a Deere link, they will hatepost you here !