PTO selection lever troubles

/ PTO selection lever troubles #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
On my BX24 - the lever used to select rear/mid/both pto's seems to only move when it wants to move... meaning, it binds on "something" "sometimes".
This is a hard one to explain - lemme try again...
Lets say I want to switch from mid to rear pto's. I grab the lever and yank it. More often than not - it will not move. I have to rock the tractor or engage/disengage the pto a few times to get the lever to move freely.
Is that behavior normal? It's not how it is on the JD4310... so I'm wondering is a difference between Orange and Green - or if it's something to be concerned with.

/ PTO selection lever troubles #2  
I've noticed something similar with my BX24 in regard to the 4WD engage and shifting between high and low range. Some of this can be attributed to the fact of the machine being new. I would suspect that as time goes on it will become smoother as things get into their own wear pattern.

For example, I've found it easier at times to switch from high to low ragne without bringing the tractor to a complete stop, but just before it; sort of like the finesse used to shift a manual transmission vehicle at just the right rpm to not have to use the clutch.

However that is not to say something is not correct, and may require dealer attention, I would at least advise them of it if you are that concerned.

/ PTO selection lever troubles #3  
I have the same problem with my BX2350. I sprayed some WD40 where the lever connects behind the tire and that seemed to help. I decided to keep an eye on it and call the dealer if it continues to be an issue.

/ PTO selection lever troubles #4  
fishpick said:
On my BX24 - the lever used to select rear/mid/both pto's seems to only move when it wants to move... meaning, it binds on "something" "sometimes".
This is a hard one to explain - lemme try again...
Lets say I want to switch from mid to rear pto's. I grab the lever and yank it. More often than not - it will not move. I have to rock the tractor or engage/disengage the pto a few times to get the lever to move freely.
Is that behavior normal? It's not how it is on the JD4310... so I'm wondering is a difference between Orange and Green - or if it's something to be concerned with.

These machine do not have syncro smashers. It takes a bit of finesses to engage the gears.

/ PTO selection lever troubles
kevinj said:
These machine do not have syncro smashers. It takes a bit of finesses to engage the gears.
Now that's the kind of exacting information I love about this place! Thanks a million!