PTO saw

/ PTO saw #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
How many of you folks own, used or even remember the old PTO saw that ran off the PTO of an 8N for tractor with a belt? I only saw one. I think it bolted to the rear end and attached to the PTO. Is there anything like that offered today for the newer model tractors? I hope someone has a picture of one of these old saws to post on here.
Sherpa

/ PTO saw #2  
Sherpa, we had one. The pulley bolts onto the PTO with 4 bolts. We ran a 30" (as well as I remember) saw with it. We used it to cut up slab wood for my Grandmother's kitchen stove. That was her heat in the kitchen during the winter. She had an electric stove also, but the cat had a hard time sleeping under that so "Pon Pon" always lit a fire in the stove. that dumb cat could lay under that stove for hours..... Anyhoo., the pulleys can be had on Ebay now and again for about $50 to $75. Usually you had to twist the belt once to get it going in the right direction. BobG in VA

/ PTO saw
Didn't the saw also hook into the 3 point hitch as well? I dont remember much about them except that big big blade spinning around. Slabs from a saw mill is what we were cutting that time. That saw was actually a small saw mill its self. I hope someone has a picture of one to post on here so the younger members can see it. Dont you know that was a nice attachment to have out there in the field/woods back in the 50s!
Sherpa

/ PTO saw #4  
Here are popular circular saws driven by pto shaft. They usually have 3 V belts 17 mm, and multiplication ratio about 3-4.

/ PTO saw #5  
Sherpa
I sold the one I had last spring. It was a newer model that ran off the PTO and hooked to 3PH.
Here is a thread on Buzz Saws. There are a couple of others if you do a search.

/ PTO saw #6  
They still make them new. They run off the PTO shaft and are 3PH mounted. They have also come a long way as far as shielding on the saw.

/ PTO saw #7  
The older models (or the ones we used to have when I was a kid) had a right angle drive pully that bolted on the tractor at the rear PTO shaft. A long and wide leather belt would then drive the cordwood saw arbor. They 'still make PTO cordwood saws but they are not as common as they used to be. I was just pricing one out last month. It was called "The Woodsman." It is manufactured by a welding company and sold at Knoxland Power Equipment up here in Weare, NH. I do not think they advertise it on there web site but the price was $1,200.

/ PTO saw #8  
I have an old, early 1950's vintage cord wood saw that attached to the front of a Simplicity tractor. The Simplicity was a walk behind much like the old Gravely. I still have the tractor, the old Briggs and Stratton engine is gone.

Years ago I got the saw running and used it to cut smaller diameter fire wood. The whole thing is still sitting in the shed. I had the intentions of running it off the 8N but never made it happen. The exhaust from the tractor blew out the rear right where I needed to stand to run the saw. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Maybe the Kubota would work better. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Randy

/ PTO saw #9  
I remember when I was knee high to my grandpa, he used to run one off the pulley of his JD A. Cut down his wood and cut it into bolt length with an old Remington Mall chainsaw (I have that too!), then bucked up all his firewood with the "Buzz Rig". Wood was the only heat they had until the mid 70's.

I have an old Dearborn that I used on my 9N with the right angle drive pulley that mounted to the PTO shaft of the tractor. It came with 4 different diameter blades, from 20" to 48".
I used it for one years's firewood...then spent the money on chainsaws! These old saws took off a lot of peoples fingers, hands, and arms in their day. Like everything else around a farm...slow and careful is the only way to use them. Mine is now a lawn ornament (with a for sale sign on it!).