PTO on IH 574

/ PTO on IH 574 #1  

mitchell574

Tractor
ih 574
Does anyone here own a IH574. I have one with a problem with the PTO. Suspect a pto clutch, but i plan to change the filter this weekend to see if that helps. Any info would be helpful.

/ PTO on IH 574 #2  
I ran a 574 IH for 12 years but never had any problem with the pto clutch. What kind of problem are you having?

/ PTO on IH 574
Ibought this tractor as a project.It was wrecked in three pieces. Could not pass on the price. It is back together now and good running tractor. I dont know anything about the tractor before the wreck. PTO may have out of service prior to purchuse. I was going to pick peanuts with this tractor but PTO would not work. PTO will not turn under load. Figured it was just to much. Hooked to a 3pt spreader to spread rye grass would not spread the seed with the hooper full.Removed enough seed to get finished. Change the HYD filter today if i have time to see if that helps. I still have steering,lift, and hyd but time for filter change

/ PTO on IH 574 #4  
The one I had was well used when I got it. Had the filter to plug soon and it didn't have enough supply on the remotes to work the wood splitter but steering and 3 pt. still worked OK. Changed the filter and hyd. oil and was OK from then on. I never tried the PTO with the filter stopped up. I'm not positive but I think the pto clutches are wet. I think there are 5 disc. Not likely but you may have a linkage problem and causing it to slip. Hope the filter change does the trick for you. If not I guess you'll have to pull the cap off and find the problem. When you get it right you'll have a great tractor. The 574 was one of the best I've owned.

/ PTO on IH 574 #5  
I have a factory repair manual for the Case-IH 385 thru 885 series tractors. From my observations they are practically the same as the 74/84 series tractors. There are 5 frictions discs and 8 drive discs in the clutch pack. There is also a piston in the pack that compresses the clutch discs and has an inner and outer seal on it. A quick browse through the proceedure looks relatively simple to remove/repair/reinstall it. The 1000 rpm pto shaft has to be removed and the pack drops out the bottom.

Before I bought my 385 I looked far and wide for a good 574 at at reasonable price.

/ PTO on IH 574
Filter change did the trick. Thank You all for replies. I grew up on fords this is my first IH. Parts are a little hard to find and costly. I am pleased so far.

/ PTO on IH 574 #7  
I bet you are grinning now!!! I didn't know the pto used a cylinder but after I think about it ,it makes sense now. What I found after asking questions about the hyd. system, the filter will get plugged if the brakes (wet) are used heavily. Particles from the wet disc will fill plug the filter. I never had the problem but a guy I know used his for logging. He had to change filters 2-3 times per year. He knew it was filter change time when the fel slowed down. There also use to be a kit that would double the filter size. I looked at it but never bought it. I just used mine for haying mostly.

I don't know of another tractor in that wheel base size with the power of the 574. It's short but heavy enough to have great traction and 52 rated hp is just right for it. If the engine is working right most will put out 57hp on a dyno. I wish they were still made. I'd sure buy a new 574 tomorrow and hang a loader on it. I could stack round bales with it faster than anything I've ever used.

If you ever run into parts problems give me a holler. There's a salvage yard in my area that helped me many times. There were lots of the 574's in this area and were used as two row for tobacco crops.

/ PTO on IH 574
Not quite sure exactly but it works good now. I am constantly surprized at the good info found on TBN. I am constantly adding things: strob, canopy, retrofit loader, foot throttle, radio cup holder & mirror. I am running out of ideas.

/ PTO on IH 574 #9  
We had a 574 and it had nothing but trouble with the PTO. Purchased new, within 9 months, it had been to the dealer's shop about 12 times to repair the PTO. (I doubt if yours is just the filter) /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Then, got rid of it and got a 656 Hydro and it never had PTO problems again.

/ PTO on IH 574
You may be right but its working good now. I forgot to add that the bypass was clogged with a fiber looking mess. Kinda like lint from the clothes dryer.