Pto no go

/ Pto no go #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
My neighbor has one of the McCormick cab tractors. It has the 500 and 1000 rpm pto one above the other. Today while mowing hay the 540 stopped turning. 1000 will turn but 540 will barely turn and can be stopped by grabbing it with gloved hand. We traced the linkage all down to a sylenoid that activates the pto on the left side of the back axle. It obviously goes in and out and seems to work fine. Leading me to believe the problem is internal. Could anyone shed any more light on what could possibly be wrong and what to check.

/ Pto no go #2  
If you can stall the pto shaft with your hand (I would not recommend this method, maybe use a 2x4) then the clutch pack is slipping or you have very low regulated pressure. I would contact your dealer and ask him to check out. What will happen is if it is used like this the pack will weld together and it will never stop turning.

/ Pto no go
He did contact the dealer today. Dealer wanted him to bring it in to check the hydraulic pressure. He did not want to do this because everything else hydraulic works fine. What you are saying is the hydraulics could cause one pto shaft to turn correctly but the other not to turn except slightly and not at all with pressure?
I too suggested clutch issue and he does not believe it's that either.

/ Pto no go #4  
PTO lockup pressure is controlled by the regulated pressure. The oil that controls lock up on all the clutch packs is supplied after the steering circuit gets oil. The fact that the hydraulic system is working has really no effect on the pto pack as the unit will have two seperate pumps. I suspect the pto clutch pack has slipped to the extent that the friction material is gone and it will not lock up to transmit power. Hate to say it but it may be a pto pack rebuild.

/ Pto no go
Finally convinced him today that he should get the dealer in on this fix. They are to pick it up in the am.

/ Pto no go #6  
What dealership is he using?

/ Pto no go
I think the name of it is southeast farm supply. It's the McCormick/Case IH dealer in London KY..

/ Pto no go #8  
What did the dealership find was the problem?