PTO Generator - which one to choose

/ PTO Generator - which one to choose #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
Hi Folks
I, like many lately, have been exploring the stand-by generator option and I have come up with two possibilities that appear viable for my situation. I have a 200 amp manual pole top transfer switch already professionally installed.

Option One

A 25+ year old WINPOWER PTO Unit with 25 kw peak, 15 kw continuous used as a back up on a dairy farm. There is a Master Dealer not too far away and they recommend a full service for about $850 because of the age of the unit and the possibility of cracked or degrading seals and bearings. Fully serviced and considering travel cost I would have about $2500 invested in what would be a "virtually new" generator.

Option Two

A Generac PTO unit 40kw peak and 20 kw continuous. Age is unknown but seller said it was service about 5 years ago just before he bought at a farm sale. I have not found many positive comments about this brand and have had no success in finding information about available parts and service. For this unit I would have invested between $1400 and $1600 (still negotiating)

I live in Central Ontario, Canada and am leaning toward the Generac unit (closer, about $1000 less expensive and theoretically "ready to go") but would appreciate any comments related to the following questions:

1. Is a Generac PTO unit reliable?
  2. Are Generac parts readily available or standard enough to be easily substituted?
  3. I have read about having to "flash" the units - is this common, difficult, repairable?
  4. Is there a strong reason to walk away from this unit as fast as possible?
  5. If I was spend your hard earned money, which unit would you want me to buy and why?

Thanks for any insights.

Bob

/ PTO Generator - which one to choose #2  
Hi Folks
I, like many lately, have been exploring the stand-by generator option and I have come up with two possibilities that appear viable for my situation. I have a 200 amp manual pole top transfer switch already professionally installed.

Option One

A 25+ year old WINPOWER PTO Unit with 25 kw peak, 15 kw continuous used as a back up on a dairy farm. There is a Master Dealer not too far away and they recommend a full service for about $850 because of the age of the unit and the possibility of cracked or degrading seals and bearings. Fully serviced and considering travel cost I would have about $2500 invested in what would be a "virtually new" generator.

Option Two

A Generac PTO unit 40kw peak and 20 kw continuous. Age is unknown but seller said it was service about 5 years ago just before he bought at a farm sale. I have not found many positive comments about this brand and have had no success in finding information about available parts and service. For this unit I would have invested between $1400 and $1600 (still negotiating)

I live in Central Ontario, Canada and am leaning toward the Generac unit (closer, about $1000 less expensive and theoretically "ready to go") but would appreciate any comments related to the following questions:

1. Is a Generac PTO unit reliable?
  2. Are Generac parts readily available or standard enough to be easily substituted?
  3. I have read about having to "flash" the units - is this common, difficult, repairable?
  4. Is there a strong reason to walk away from this unit as fast as possible?
  5. If I was spend your hard earned money, which unit would you want me to buy and why?

Thanks for any insights.

Bob

Bob,

I bought a Generac PTO Generator...Model No. 6870 ~ It is 20KW continuous and a 40KW surge...sounds like it is the same unit you are looking at..I bought it used from a Chicken Farmers widow...she said it had been used only a few times over the years...but who knows...I bought it 3 yrs. ago for $250.00...it came with the 3 pt. stand and PTO drive-shaft and works great.

You can call Mr. Moe Moeller 812-824-4434 ...he has all of the spare parts for the generator and can give you any information or answer any questions you might have...When I spoke with him he was easy to talk to and happy to answer my questions...

As far as any gaskets leaking...you can simply use John Deere cornhead grease or 00 grease instead of the gear oil...I have done that and had no problems. I also checked with 2 generator repair facilities close to my home and they both can service this generator...So I would suggest you call around your area and find a generator re builder or repair facility and see if they work on that model... then you will feel better.

/ PTO Generator - which one to choose #3  
Years ago, I had a Winco 15KW unit that I sold because it was basically an impossibility for my wife to hook it up if I wasn't home plus you'll need a transfer switch or a hefty double pole single throw switch to isolate the utility from your system.

I went to a Generac standby 17KW propane fueled unit (8 years ago) because it's turn key for the wife.

If I was buying a portable unit (Winco/Generac), I'd lean toward the Winco, not that the Generac isn't a good unit because in 8 years, I've had little problems with my standby and it's Generac.

You'll need a mount for either (3point frame or trailer, upspeed gearbox (( the head needs to turn 3600 rpm from 540 pto)), pro shaft and of course, some type of disconnect).

You also need to be aware that the genny needs to turn 3600 (2 pole head) so the tractor will be at 540, 24-7, or as long as you require power. I say that because it's possible to back off the rpm input, but your cycles per second (Hz) will also decrease (as the Hz is a direct result of the armature speed of the genny) and less than 60 Hz can be detrimental to electronics, cause clocks to lose time and cause motors to overheat. like your refrigerator for instance.

Holding the tractor at 540 for hours on end, or days, will eat fuel plus you'll have to shut down the tractor for maintenance, and fueling. The more amperage you pull, the harder the genny pulls against the tractor drive and your load will vary so the pto speed will vary (and the cycles per second produced). A standby has throttle compensation, your tractor has you to modulate the throttle to maintain 60 Hz, another drawback.

It was less intensive for me to go standby/stand alone genny, so I sold the Winco.

Full fielding 'flashing' the genny isn't hard. What happens is, over time, the armature loses it's residual magnetism. It's that slight magnetism that 'excites' the field windings and causes the initial flow of electrons that initiates the process of generation. Standby units do that automatically.

If your power needs are non-critical and you don't mind hooking up the genny to the tractor in sub zero, snowy weather or during a summer windstorm, because power tends to only fail when the weather is adverse, the get the pto unit. For me, I prefer not to.

Finally, don't expect to run your sensitive electronics (like your computer) on fluctuating power from a pto unit. Sensitive electronics are just that. They may or may not operate but the overall life will be shortened no matter.

Just some points to ponder.

/ PTO Generator - which one to choose #4  
Just to add....I run my tractor a 540 RPM for hours on end bush hogging...and it does not harm my tractor...that is what tractors were made for.

I don't run my generator 24/7 ...during an outage...I run it long enough to warm or cool the house, keep the frig. cold, flush toilets , take showers etc. It is just a waste of fuel to run it 24 / 7

So far our generator has not hurt our computers, appliances , Plasma TVs or anything else in our house..

The throttle on my tractor can easily be set to maintain a steady 540 RPM

It takes only 10 minutes to hook up the PTO generator ..in the barn before connecting it to the hose plug and that takes 2 more minutes.

The Generac PTO genny I have and the OP is talking about ...the head turns at 1800 rpm from 540 PTO.

Just wanted to add my experience with the same unit the OP is asking about.

Good Luck !

/ PTO Generator - which one to choose #5  
Just to add....I run my tractor a 540 RPM for hours on end bush hogging...and it does not harm my tractor...that is what tractors were made for.

I don't run my generator 24/7 ...during an outage...I run it long enough to warm or cool the house, keep the frig. cold, flush toilets , take showers etc. It is just a waste of fuel to run it 24 / 7

So far our generator has not hurt our computers, appliances , Plasma TVs or anything else in our house..

The throttle on my tractor can easily be set to maintain a steady 540 RPM

It takes only 10 minutes to hook up the PTO generator ..in the barn before connecting it to the hose plug and that takes 2 more minutes.

The Generac PTO genny I have and the OP is talking about ...the head turns at 1800 rpm from 540 PTO.

Just wanted to add my experience with the same unit the OP is asking about.

Good Luck !

Experiences differ. I'm probably a lot older than you and I don't relish hands on operation anymore.

I guess if intermittent power is fine in your house/operation, that works, It's not fine here, consequently, I need and require a constant source of on demand generation.

Far as maintaining 540 input, I suggest you set your genny up and set the throttle/pto for 540 and then load the genny. The report back on what occurs. Your comment about maintaining constant input speed under no-load to load parameters is false. Go try it and then let us know. Postulation is wonderful, real time experience is priceless.

Your power source (tractor or whatever) isn't capable of compensation for load unless it's direct coupled electronically and/or mechanically to the generator head and can sense the applied load. That's how it works.

/ PTO Generator - which one to choose #6  
I typed what I typed from experience with my PTO genny under load and when the well pump or heat pump kicks on , there is a momentary blip and that is it...The generator I have and the one the OP is discussing has a 40KW surge capacity and therefore when a motor kicks on it compensates nicely...I don't have to report back to you about anything...especially when you post that what I am saying is false...Not a very nice thing to do..Imagine what you are doing....I have owned and operated my generator for 3 yrs. and you are telling me what my tractor is capable of and what I am posting is false...Wow !

/ PTO Generator - which one to choose
Bob,

I bought a Generac PTO Generator...Model No. 6870 ~ It is 20KW continuous and a 40KW surge...sounds like it is the same unit you are looking at..
You can call Mr. Moe Moeller 812-824-4434 ...he has all of the spare parts for the generator
As far as any gaskets leaking...you can simply use John Deere cornhead grease or 00 grease instead of the gear oil...I have done that and had no problems. I also checked with 2 generator repair facilities close to my home and they both can service this generator...So I would suggest you call around your area and find a generator re builder or repair facility and see if they work on that model... then you will feel better.

Excellent points - thanks for comments from first-hand experience.

Hope to speak with a couple of local genny repair shops tomorrow (not open today - Sunday) and then decide.

Bob

/ PTO Generator - which one to choose #8  
I wish these tractors especially the new ones with all the electronics could have an option to regulate constant PTO speed electronicly.

Because in my hands on experiments with my IMD 10 kw pto genny, the tractor's mechanical governor could not compensate for going from no load to full load, any wide fluctuation in load could not be compensated for and the HZ would be way off. So from my experience PTO gennys are not plug and play friendly. They are the cheapest way to get the most amount of KWs provided you own a tractor, but they are not set and forget.

Which for now is ok with me, I will treat a power outage as a major event and will be running around like the crew in a ships boiler room keeping things running. And will be producing electric power in a conservative manor, maybe a couple hours on and several hours off.

Now the newer AVR models should be better, mine is capacitor regulated as I imagine the used ones OP is referring to, are as well.

JB

/ PTO Generator - which one to choose #9  
No dog in this fight but do have a few opinions.

Gov's on a tractor are not optimized for generator service but some handle the chore quite well. I'd try and set engine speed with moderate load so it is running at intended freq. Hopefully, gov can hold speed to within a couple hertz as load changes.

As for gen speed, wonder how many of these larger size gens being discussed are 2 pole, i.e. 3600 rpm? Personally I wouldn't have a larger genset that wasn't 4-pole.

Sensitive electronics as mentioned, non-issue. most all electronic today us a switching power supply. Can handle broad range of input voltages and 50/60 hz. I'd be more concerned over things with induction motors as they don't handle being run at wrong freq very well. Creates a lot of excess heat. I wouldn't worry about being off a couple hz but would start to worry if running 10 hz off and trying to be run for extensive periods of time.

/ PTO Generator - which one to choose #10  
Experiences differ. I'm probably a lot older than you and I don't relish hands on operation anymore.

I guess if intermittent power is fine in your house/operation, that works, It's not fine here, consequently, I need and require a constant source of on demand generation.

Far as maintaining 540 input, I suggest you set your genny up and set the throttle/pto for 540 and then load the genny. The report back on what occurs. Your comment about maintaining constant input speed under no-load to load parameters is false. Go try it and then let us know. Postulation is wonderful, real time experience is priceless.

Your "real time experience" seems to vary from mine. I have been using PTO powered gensets for backup power in residential and agricultural uses for at least 35 years.
There is a device within a tractor's injection pump called a governor. It controls fuel delivery based on the load placed on the tractor's engine and is designed to maintain the pre-set ERPM setting within the engine's ability to meet the torque loading demand asked of it. Governors have been an integral part of modern diesel fuel injection systems for probably 70 years or more. They also work well enough to maintain voltage/Hz outputs on PTO gensets when the genset and tractor powering it are sized for the expected load. PTO generators (like mine) can be an inconvenience, and many folks choose a more automatic, hands off solution to emergency power. But the concept has been successful for decades and is still a viable alternative.