PTO gearbox and pump for FEL snowblower

/ PTO gearbox and pump for FEL snowblower #1  

Chaostamer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 w/ FEL & Kubota M6040 w FEL
Okay - I apologize to those purists and those who have forgotten more than I will ever be able to know about tractors and hydraulics. But I am a novice, so much so that I have come up with little information to help me after 3 hours of searching. In other words, I don't even know enough to search effectively.

I am looking for a replacement pto power pack for a FEL hydraulic snowblower. I have a 2010X snowblower that has the folowing info/specs:
Model: 2010 79
Part Number: 900964
Hydraulic Flow: 11-25 GPM
Operating Pressure: 2500-3500 PSI

I run a Kuboth M6070 with 540 rpm pto.

My Cross pump and gear box was built in 1977. The gearbox seems to work okay, but the pump is dying. I am willing to replace the pump and gear box, or just the pump. I am looking for most cost effective.

If I size up from what I have, I am hoping to run the tractor at 1800 to 2000 RPM to hit the required specs so I can travel slower than if I have to run at 2500 rpm (engine).

Any suggestions on products, configurations, sources, etc? All insight and guidance is much appreciated!

/ PTO gearbox and pump for FEL snowblower
Thanks RickB. I saw those built by Prince. They do great if I want to run my Kubota at 2500-3000 rpm in order to get to 2500+ psi and required flow rate. Not really excited about that wear and tear, but even less excited about the speed of travel at that rpm level. Still looking!?!

/ PTO gearbox and pump for FEL snowblower #4  
Pressure is not speed dependent. Consider if your Tractor will develop enough HP at reduced RPM. Running at high load and low RPM isn’t necessarily good for your tractor. It’s called “Granny Beating”.

RickB - thanks for the input and you gave me more to be watch. Is the pressure from the pto driven cross pump at a constant pressure despite RPM of tractor?

The issue I am raising is a combination of three factors: pressure (2500-3000 psi - which I previously thought was connected to RPM of engine), flow (11-25 gallons), and tractor speed (which is dependent on engine RPM with my shuttle shift Kubota). If I travel to fast because I need more rpm to hit spec on the blower, I beat the clutch up in heavy and/or drifted snow trying to keep the input at the rate the auger and fan can handle. Previously I was running 2500+ rpm on tractor to run unit (which I assume is not good either). Clearly you understand these things very well. How would you work the pump configuration?

/ PTO gearbox and pump for FEL snowblower #7  
RickB - thanks for the input and you gave me more to be watch. Is the pressure from the pto driven cross pump at a constant pressure despite RPM of tractor?

The issue I am raising is a combination of three factors: pressure (2500-3000 psi - which I previously thought was connected to RPM of engine), flow (11-25 gallons), and tractor speed (which is dependent on engine RPM with my shuttle shift Kubota). If I travel to fast because I need more rpm to hit spec on the blower, I beat the clutch up in heavy and/or drifted snow trying to keep the input at the rate the auger and fan can handle. Previously I was running 2500+ rpm on tractor to run unit (which I assume is not good either). Clearly you understand these things very well. How would you work the pump configuration?
Based on data on the Prince site and also the provided QuicAttach power unit site, your tractor does not have sufficient PTO HP at reduced rpm to develop the GPM at the operating pressure that you require in the original post.

As I started with in this thread, I am ignorant. Can you please explain your last post in some detail?

/ PTO gearbox and pump for FEL snowblower #9  
Based on data on the Prince site and also the provided QuicAttach power unit site, your tractor does not have sufficient PTO HP at reduced rpm to develop the GPM at the operating pressure that you require in the original post.
My tractor is only 45 hp and it operates my system like a champ. Why wouldnt you think his 60+ hp tractor wouldnt work.

/ PTO gearbox and pump for FEL snowblower #10  
My tractor is only 45 hp and it operates my system like a champ. Why wouldnt you think his 60+ hp tractor wouldnt work.

I got the impression he was referring to 'reduced RPM' to get the full flow and pressure.

There are a lot of losses in creating hydraulic power. For instance, the OP's 64hp at the PTO using an HP24 powerpack, would be making the equivalent of 42hp, a loss of 22hp just to use hydraulic power. On top of this fact, PTO power has a lot more torque (being driven by mechanical gears) whereas hydraulic hp needs the RPM's to keep up momentum. In other words, hydraulic power is a lot easier to bog down than mechanical, and likewise, takes more time to spin back up.

Operating at reduced RPM, would diminish the hp even further. At only 20gpm @ 3k psi, the Horsepower equivalent drops to 35hp. At 15gpm, it's drops to 26 horsepower.

Of course, this is all numbers, so in practice if running at a reduced RPM and it starts to bog down, simply speed up the engine. However, understand that a hydraulic driven snowblower with powerpack will deliver less power, at a higher cost, and take up both ends of the tractor. For a little less than the cost of a full hydraulic powerpack/snowblower setup, you could purchase a brand new Pronovost TRC model snowblower with rotating drum, and deliver your full 64PTO hp to the blower, and clear snow considerably faster.

Since the only thing the op needs to replace is the pump, it's obviously considerably cheaper than the whole package.