PT1850 Tire Pressure - 10 Ply Tires

/ PT1850 Tire Pressure - 10 Ply Tires #31  
I would like to have a dollar for every time I watched this video...I was an Aebi tt77 driver before my 1850 bought it from American Bulldog actually.

/ PT1850 Tire Pressure - 10 Ply Tires #32  
They make some neat stuff. No front loaders, that I can find, though.

A contractor has been running around on a little Avant machine at my employer all summer. Neat little machine, too.

/ PT1850 Tire Pressure - 10 Ply Tires
I had the first opportunity over Thanksgiving to use the PT1850 on the pastures of the home place in the NE Georgia mountains. This is the machine outfitted with 10 ply tires by the P.O. With the tires at around 10 psi, the machine handled slopes up to the low 20 degrees with no worries. Absolutely no slippage on dry grass. The reference is from one of the R&B clinometers mounted as discussed in this forum.

Clinometer, Tilt Gauge

These are pastures which I have mowed in the past with regular tractors. This time the scary parts were no issue. I was sort of chuckling at the overkill capacity of the machine. I just wonder why these machines aren't more popular in the mountains.

My plan is to re-open the pastures further up the hillsides as time permits. I'll probably not be going over low 30 degrees, so I may not even need to change tires.

Mowed for at least a couple of hours straight each day with the engine temperature holding at 190-ish. So, I guess my initial temperature issue was the broken blower jacket.

/ PT1850 Tire Pressure - 10 Ply Tires #34  
The big issue I have is getting on someone else’s tractor and realizing it won’t do what my pt will on slopes

Back on the tire topic after a bit.

Got by with the PO installed 10 ply tires up until now. However, last week ended up pushing into some higher degree slopes and think I have found the limits of the 10 plys.

I was looking at the OTR HBR Lawn Trac as a possible replacement. Has anyone used that tire? I think PT themselves has switched to Antego tires in the interim.

Attachments

• OTR 1.jpg
    OTR 1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 81
  • OTR 2.jpg
    OTR 2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 78
   / PT1850 Tire Pressure - 10 Ply Tires #36  
I'm like you MR any slope over 20 makes me a little uneasy especially with the mower on my 422 . On my 1845 30 to 35 is not too bad, the tilting seat makes a world of difference.

/ PT1850 Tire Pressure - 10 Ply Tires #37  
10ply is too thick for much over 30 degrees. 4ply and low pressure are the only thing that is going to give you any stiction. That all said, I probably will buy some Firestone floation tires next time around. I chase punctures constantly (5 to 10 a year at $30 per fix gets expensive quick).

/ PT1850 Tire Pressure - 10 Ply Tires #38  
I don't doubt that 4ply work better, but for someone who doesn't own them could you explain how they do better? Is it that they conform to the ground better, or that the area in contact with the ground is larger, or...?

All the best,

Peter

Which of the ply options ( 4 or 8) on the Firestone flotation tires are you considering?