PT Trenching Attachment

/ PT Trenching Attachment #1  

wasabi

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT2445 and PT1850
As I continue to assemble our PT attachment priority list, I can envision many uses for the trencher....3,000 plus feet of water lines, burying elec cable, irrigation lines, etc.

Has anyone actively used the PT trencher? Is the wider kit a must have for this type application? Does the trencher dig a true full four feet deep? What about performance with rocks or roots? Worth the time and trouble?

Thanks!

/ PT Trenching Attachment #2  
Doug:
I haven't tried the Power Trac trencher, but have had some experience with rental units. If you plan to have horses in the area you trench, the wider cut is probably necessary to be sure you can fill the trench completely. Power Trac, of course, has an attachment for filling trenches, but at first glance it looked to me like a couple of augers that would get the dirt to the hole, but not tamp it. I didn't look long enough to tell if it also packed it somehow.
I assume trenching at your place would be pretty slow, whether with the Power Trac or a rental, so your comparison of cost may end up favoring purchase.
Before I bought anything, Power Trac gave me the phone numbers for a couple of people who are in the "testimonials" section of their website, and I was able to talk to them and to others, including Hans, about each proposed implement except the Lackender hoe For something as specialized as the trencher, I certainly recommend tracking down someone with substantial experience to get opinions and advice, particularly about handling rocks, etc. (It's a lot easier to return a rental and get a slightly different configuration machine.)

/ PT Trenching Attachment #3  
Doug, I haven't used the trencher either, but the landscaper who let me demo his PT422 raved about it. He had a walk behind DitchWitch and also a riding model; he said that they just sit since he got the PT. He was straight on everything else he told me about PT's. It's on my want list too.

Eric