PT muffler adaptations?

/ PT muffler adaptations? #1  

wasabi

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT2445 and PT1850
Now that I have a gentleman's agreement to purchase a PT, I'm tackling other considerations. The noise aspect is one I've been looking at. I know there has been talk here of this subject and lots of exchange on ear protection equipment (thanks McChalkley!).

Question is, has anybody actually changed out or added an additional muffler in series to their diesel unit? Can this be done with stock parts? Would doing so change engine performance? Insights and feedback appreciated!

/ PT muffler adaptations? #2  
Doug:
When I bought my 1845, it was my intention to put another muffler in series. I haven't yet gotten around to testing with a temporary lashup. I am sure there will be some improvement. I was unhappy to note, however, that testing with a dB meter showed it almost as loud on the side away from the exhaust. The 45 hp Deutz unfortunately has the loud rattle of air cooled, rather than water jacketed metal.

/ PT muffler adaptations?
<font color=blue>testing with a dB meter showed it almost as loud on the side away from the exhaust</font color=blue>

Then ear protectors will join the must-have list along with a trailer elec brake controller box for the Toyota.