Mowing PT finish mower

/ PT finish mower #1  

Reds

Bronze Member
Tractor
Pt 422
Was looking for height adjustments on the finish mower last night. I see where two wheels have a height adjustment. The other two didn't seem to have anyway to adjust them. Am i missing something?

/ PT finish mower #2  
It took me a while to figure it out, but the front wheels seem to adjust with spacers in the post and the rear wheels have about 4 or 5 different holes to run the axle bolt through. I haven't used it yet, but probably will this coming up week. I'll try to take some pictures of it before I get it all dirty.

/ PT finish mower
Thanks, I'll take a closer look at the front wheels tonight. The grass is already tall here, so as soon as i get the time i'll be making my first cut. I'm very interested in how the PT performs on my hills. I have a 20-25 degree grade in front of the house and 18-20 behind it.

/ PT finish mower #4  
Yeah, the front wheels caster on those posts. Mine has a spring clip through the post at the top of the post. There are 4 or 5 sliver ring spacers between the clip and the mount for the post. If you raise up the mower a little, you can pull the clip and slip out the whole wheel assemply. then put as many spacers on the post as you need to get the proper height. Slip the post back up into the mount and place any remaining spacers back over the post and install the clip(I think you need to have at least one space left on the top to support the clip). The more spacers you put under the mount, the higher the cutting height. The more spacers above the mount, the lower the cutting height. There seems to be several inches of adjustment in 1/2 inch increments.

The rear wheels are different. The axle appears to need to be unbolted with some rather large wrenches. There are 4-5 different holes for the axle to fit in. It looks like they are spaced in 1/2 inch increments as well. I haven't taken a good look at it yet, but will when I mount the mower and test it out next week. Let me know what you find out.

/ PT finish mower #5  
It sounds like the system used in Rear mounted mowers on other tractors.

KCook

/ PT finish mower #6  
the setting the way i received my 60 inch pt mower was great to mow at 3 1/4 inches which is about our standard height.

kunz eng. (acerease) want their decks to travel absolutely horizontal, other manufacturers have a slight slant to the back.

it is my experience that if grass is older than 7 days a slight slant from front to back is helpful, but slows down the forward motion a bit if the grass is thick, wet and extra tall. For you speed freaks (including me) it may slow you down a bit, maybe a mile or two per hour.

should have gotten out their on the seventh day...hihihihi.

have all my pt mowers set at identical height in all four corners.

if i encounter too high grass the pt rough cut mower and the kunz eng. 5 foot rough cut mower go into action. oh, what is a few more attachment on my twent foot trailer to log around all day.

/ PT finish mower #7  
Did you buy the PT trailer package? or did you set up a dual axle 20 foot trailer for your needs? I have a need to haul the 425 around with a few attachments but also to load stone and mulch in the trailer for hauling back to the arboretum.
PJ

/ PT finish mower
Mossroad looks like you were right on the money. I measure the spacers and adjustment holes to be 1/2 inch. I raised my cut by one hole/spacer. So based upon bubenburg's measurement that puts my cut at about 3 3/4 inches which is good for tall fescue I believe. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

/ PT finish mower #9  
No, i am using a regular 20 foot landscape trailer when i need alot of attachments. but have in mind to refurbish an old AT&T cable trailer to make a pt type trailer that lets me put my wingmowers on either side up front and then all the other mowers behind (48 & 60 inch finish mower, and 48 inch rough mower.

another project is to extend the tongue portion of my 10,ooo pound landscape dump trailer, for when i do leaf during spring and fall cleanups, more later.

have great ideas, already in the testing stage, when everything works i will even someday put some of my pictures on the net. have camera, have scanner and pcs but no knowhow in this area ... need help!