Property Taxes

/ Property Taxes #21  
We live in Washington County, MD on 3 acres. Our house is 11 years old, around 1900 sq ft and a small shed. Our combined taxes are just under $1300 a year. I believe the market value is around $150K and assessed is somewhere around $120K.

Dang, you guys who live in the NE are getting hammered with taxes. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Terry

/ Property Taxes #22  
My brother-in-law (and neighbor) was the previous owner of our property and used it as a rental. The original property was a house, 10 acres (9 are designated forest), and a pole barn. He paid approx $1600 for all of this. Part of the deal when we bought from him was he was going to divide off 5 acres and the pole barn and attach to his neighboring property leaving us with 5 acres and the house. Our first tax year with this configuration the county RAISED it additional $200. For less property they raised it!!! Took my issue to the county in a hearing armed with arial photos, photographs, plot maps, everything. They started the hearing without the county assessor because he was late. Basically, everyone there understood my point that I shouldn't be taxed more for having less. When the assessor showed up he wouldn't hear of it. Could not understand my logic that we shouldn't have to pay more for half the original acreage. When time came for them to vote, the other members somewhat reluctantly sided with him and I lost my appeal. I do not look at this as just losing $250, it $250 every year for ? because they never seem to go down.

On the designated forest lands we are taxed something like $25 year unless we log it. If we do log it, we need to replant within a year or it goes out of deferral.

Also, I think Oregon is one of the few remaining states that does not have a sales tax.

He who dies with the most toy's....wins!

/ Property Taxes #23  
If thoses wall could ownly talk..what history it could tell.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Property Taxes #24  
It isn't just the Northeast. The frozen wasteland, aka the midwest, has some of the highest taxes going.

The house I am contemplating building will have a market value of around $350k. Real estate taxes on it will run over $400 per month, the bulk of that going to the school system.

/ Property Taxes #25  
I don't know where you're sittin in Neuevo Hillareah, but up here along the shore of Lake Ontario we're getting total town wide reassessment about every 10 years. Last time mine jumped 3X the original value, and I had to fight like he11 to get it near to right. Even paid my own licensed appraiser who told me the only way it would sell was to bulldoze all the buildings and sell the land, if I was prepared to finance the deal, cause no bank will touch farms due to possible polution problems.
It's all due to the Cuomo administration borrowing more money than the total value of all assessments in the state. That's why NY bond rating has dropped too. Solution, inflate the value of assessments, and collect more taxes.
You wouldn't believe the crap I listened to in that hearing room. Heard one farmer told he couldn't have ag assessment cause he didn't have a farmer's ID #. There ain't no farmer ID #s, but they shammed him out the door. When they built the new sewer plant next to his farm in 67, the County bought the developement rights, so he can never use the land for anything but farming, so they assess his land as building lots.
Only thing lower than a politician is a child mollestor.

/ Property Taxes #26  
When they built the new sewer plant next to his farm in 67, the County bought the developement rights, so he can never use the land for anything but farming, so they assess his land as building lots.
Only thing lower than a politician is a child mollestor.

I'll agree 100% with that statement!!!

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Property Taxes #27  
Here in Central Texas, we have a couple of provisions in our tax laws which I find interesting: (1) Your taxes cannot increase more than 10% per year; and (2) When you reach the age of 65, you can file a petition and the school tax portion of your property taxes (by far the greater portion) will be frozen at that level FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!

/ Property Taxes #28  
My taxes are $4000 every six months for 3.6 acres.

I have 3 adjacent 1.2 acre lots. The two 'empty' lots tax bill is $390 each. The remaining lot is $3300 for the 1.2 acre lot and house.

Ed

/ Property Taxes #29  
All -

One of the considerations that we fail to mention and a reason that government gets away with this garbage is that we can write the taxes off against our income tax. Minimumly, Federal and as I can imagine against most state income taxes.

Now, Federal and state play around with the tax codes so you really don't get all that much back. It's dirty rotten shame. It always sounds so good when explained in the press conferences, but when you really get a chance to take a look at the actual tax code. Well, it feels like I just back from then proctologist!! /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Terry

/ Property Taxes #30  
8 whole acres in mid-Michigan. 1400 sq ft house w/ 2 car attached garage, 2 detached garages (one is my shop) and a barn on the 7 acres at the back. Cell tower (and their 6 acres) betweem front and back of property.
Poor township with zilch in the way of services. Property was appraised at $180k before we bought ... had it revalued based on the $120k I paid for it. Taxes are about $2300 a year ... of which about 55% percent is earmarked for education. Well over double what I paid in Alberta with exactly the same amount of services (zero). What I really love is that, since I'm not yet a US citizen, I get to pay taxes but can't vote on what they do with my money ....

too bad that common sense ain't