Progress report from探he Other Guy

/ Progress report from探he Other Guy #1  

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
I am reposting this from another forum for the benefit of those that claim they do not need safety equipment or devices and stuff like this only happens to the other guy.

Tomorrow will mark 2weeks since I was run down by my little utility tractor. I might have been out of UAB hospital and into rehab by now, but I had some complications from infection that have delayed that considerably. They tell me the speed of healing the broken pelvis is still my limiting factor........ by a lot.

IF YOU HAVE A POWER REVERSER EQUIPPED TRACTOR, with the park position engaged by moving the F-N-R lever into N and through a gate and into Park, please remember to also select neutral on either the range or speed gear shifters in the transmission EVERY TIME ........or cut off engine before dismounting.

We have had a slew of these utility tractors over the years and the old ones and the new ones required selecting park on the transmission stick so you could not have a gear engaged once you shifted to Park. It didn't matter what the reverser was doing, the TRACTOR couldn't move.

Then in the middle there we had a few with the Park-F-N-R setup on the reverser shifter. That's what got me. Tractor reverser clutch pack control valve apparently was still in reverse even though I jiggled the shifter in an attempt to make sure it was really in Neutral before moving the lever through the gate and into Park. I didn't shift trans to neutral or cut off key........stupid mistake.......don't be like me.

Unfortunately tractor sat stock still for about a minute while I got off, walked around the back and started disconnecting a light cultivator from the 3 point hitch. If the top link pin had not been under pressure I would have been done and out, but I was adjusting the top link shorter when tractor caught reverse and came back on me.

I'm still here, breathing and in pretty good shape considering what happened to me due to the Lord's intervention through a lot of good folks from my employee who came to help me, shut down the tractor, called 911 and then went out the nearest intersection to make sure the ambulance found us first try........ to the EMT and air ambulance personnel that got me here ..........and finally to a lot of Doctors, technicians and nurses here at UAB.

So don't be like me. I have known men that got run over by jump starting tractors with a screwdriver, or reaching in to crank one from the ground and I was determined I would never have that happen to me. Well I was careless in another area and it got me.

Last edited:
   / Progress report from探he Other Guy #2  
Hope you continue to improve. Best idea probably is "cut off engine before dismounting".
Every accident I've had, and I've had a lot was trying to save two minutes time.

/ Progress report from探he Other Guy
Hope you continue to improve. Best idea probably is "cut off engine before dismounting".
Every accident I've had, and I've had a lot was trying to save two minutes time.

Not my accident, I was reposting the unfortunate injuries that an experienced operator incurred in a moment of carelessness.
TBN is populated with a disproportionate number of folks that claim to be immune from this type of misfortune.
It can truly happen to anyone.