Problems connecting hydraulic implements

/ Problems connecting hydraulic implements #1  

dirtymartini

Silver Member
Tractor
LS R4047 FEL & Backhoe
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. When connecting my backhoe or grapple I need to crack the hydraulic lines in order to get them hooked back up. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I can do to make this easier?

/ Problems connecting hydraulic implements #2  
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. When connecting my backhoe or grapple I need to crack the hydraulic lines in order to get them hooked back up. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I can do to make this easier?

Before disconnecting hydraulic lines I make sure there is no tension in the implement. For instance a bucket, with engine off, place the joystick in all possible positions to settle the implement fully. Then I disconnect the QD's. Then I reconnect them again so that they Puke out a bit of fluid.. I believe this results in a deficit of fluid in the lines. Then when you hook back up they hook up easier. Also parking your implements in the sun after taking them off is not a good idea. Fluid heats up and expands. This seems to work for me, I don't have any problems any more. Years ago I used to struggle.

/ Problems connecting hydraulic implements
Before disconnecting hydraulic lines I make sure there is no tension in the implement. For instance a bucket, with engine off, place the joystick in all possible positions to settle the implement fully. Then I disconnect the QD's. Then I reconnect them again so that they Puke out a bit of fluid.. I believe this results in a deficit of fluid in the lines. Then when you hook back up they hook up easier. Also parking your implements in the sun after taking them off is not a good idea. Fluid heats up and expands. This seems to work for me, I don't have any problems any more. Years ago I used to struggle.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. It's a real PITA cracking the lines every time I want to hook back up to my grapple or backhoe.

/ Problems connecting hydraulic implements #4  
You should be able to just put the male poppet on something and press down. It'll let out a bit of oil, and the connection will be a lot easier.

/ Problems connecting hydraulic implements #5  
You should be able to just put the male poppet on something and press down. It'll let out a bit of oil, and the connection will be a lot easier.

If it doesn't just 'let it out' smack the connector tip against something and it will relieve itself. Though 'relieve itself is an understatement, it will spray to the sides so don't look down to watch it.

/ Problems connecting hydraulic implements #6  
If it doesn't just 'let it out' smack the connector tip against something and it will relieve itself. Though 'relieve itself is an understatement, it will spray to the sides so don't look down to watch it.

Putting a clean cotton shop towel over the end and smacking it with a chunk of wood will prevent the mess. Be sure there is no grit on the towel or the wood. You would not want to scratch the ball. That could start a leak.

/ Problems connecting hydraulic implements
Thanks for the tips, I'll try it today.

/ Problems connecting hydraulic implements #8  
Putting a clean cotton shop towel over the end and smacking it with a chunk of wood will prevent the mess. Be sure there is no grit on the towel or the wood. You would not want to scratch the ball. That could start a leak.

Hadn't thought of that, I have a pair of leather gloves that are worn out and I'll start using the fingers for such a task.

/ Problems connecting hydraulic implements #9  

Thanks for the tip. I always just pressed it against something, but for a really stubborn one your method would be a big improvement.

/ Problems connecting hydraulic implements #10  
I find flat face couplers easier than Ag style. There are even ones meant to be connected under pressure. But relieving all of the pressure in the lines before disconnecting goes a long way towards solving the problem.

Ken