Problem with peaches

/ Problem with peaches #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I have 2 peach trees that have produced abundant and very tasty peaches. This year, while the trees are very healthy and were loaded with blossoms few were pollinated. This I believed was caused by a total lack of bees. The drought has seemed to kill them all off. Rainfall since Jan 1 has been .06”.

Now this is the desert, but we still get 4 to 5” of precipitation by this time. The trees are irrigated so no precipitation is not a factor.

The bottom line is that 25 to 30% of the peaches have this crack extending through 1/2 of the fruit. I have never seen this before. Because of the drought, I increase the irrigation and I am wondering if that is the cause.

Any suggestions are welcome.

EE24AA43-5A16-4FA9-A75D-9ED042005839.jpeg

1A4FEB1D-82BD-4E7B-B81F-3DE8AD4B3B4F.jpeg

/ Problem with peaches
I thought if you had no bees you'd have no pollination and NO fruit.
Perhaps “No” was not a good term. In years past during flowering the trees were swarming with bees. This year I only see an occasional bee.

Also this year I only got 6 cherries off my 2 trees.

/ Problem with peaches #6  
I have always heard that too much water does that. But that was 2nd hand information. So seeing what seville009 posted, it seems to make sense that my info was partially correct in that it is too much water at the wrong time.

/ Problem with peaches #7  
Perhaps “No” was not a good term. In years past during flowering the trees were swarming with bees. This year I only see an occasional bee.

Also this year I only got 6 cherries off my 2 trees.
Wasps,flys and other insects pollinate,just not enough of them to pollinate all blossoms. Sustainable pollinators is fertile ground for research by ag majors. I had hoped there might be a silver lining in Killer Bees that could be bred into our failing honey bee population. I hand pollinate squash if i don't see insects on the blossoms.

/ Problem with peaches #8  
Wasps,flys and other insects pollinate,just not enough of them to pollinate all blossoms. Sustainable pollinators is fertile ground for research by ag majors. I had hoped there might be a silver lining in Killer Bees that could be bred into our failing honey bee population. I hand pollinate squash if i don't see insects on the blossoms.
No, no, no.... you keep those killer bees down there!

/ Problem with peaches #9  
No, no, no.... you keep those killer bees down there!
Ok, might you be interested in a nest of Imported Fire Ants instead? Oh what the heck,you can't make an informed decision without a little experience so next time I go to Santa Fe,instaed of turning at Clines Corner I'll run down and drop off a batch.

/ Problem with peaches #10  
You might want to look into mason or leaf cutter bees for the future.

The split fruit looks like a watering mismatch. My pomegranate is very sensitive to over/under watering and the fruit splits wide open if it gets too much at any one time.

All the best,

Peter