Problem with class II Adjustable top Link

/ Problem with class II Adjustable top Link #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
I am using a MF 50 diesel tractor and a Ford field flail er. I have drop chains to keep the lift arms from depressing too low to keep the cut threw very tall grass from going to low to the ground. I have set the top link to keep the attachment level. I tighten the adjustment to reasonable resistance and tighten the triangular locking thread device. After no more than about 50 to 100 feet of mowing at the lowest creeping speed the top-link has rotated to the point of disengaging allowing the connector to drop down onto the pto shaft. I thought perhaps that the locking not should be either placed closest to the tractor or toward the mower. At TSC, their diagrams show the lock (thread lock?) toward the mower side. What could possibly be causing this unwinding of the top link. It is very new and there are no stripped threads and I have balanced the mower as well as could be done.

Yup...its me again with another question. some on this forum are contributors and I definitely am a Gleaner.
Oh, thank God for Spell Checker too....

docrocky

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 366
   / Problem with class II Adjustable top Link #3  
Unscrew it and put a couple of jam nuts on it.

/ Problem with class II Adjustable top Link #4  
Your toplink is too short for one thing. And I can't see the other end, but the locking tab may be missing. It actually should be on the tractor end, so that you can reach back and adjust it from the operator seat. You can see the locking tab reasonably well in this photo:
toplink.jpg

//greg//

/ Problem with class II Adjustable top Link #5  
I don't think it matters which end you have the lock nut. It sounds like you didn't have it tight enough.

/ Problem with class II Adjustable top Link #6  
Your toplink is too short for one thing. And I can't see the other end, but the locking tab may be missing. It actually should be on the tractor end, so that you can reach back and adjust it from the operator seat. You can see the locking tab reasonably well in this photo:
View attachment 323266

//greg//

Greg is right!!! You might try putting a small cable from one check chain then thru the hole to other check chain. Put 1st I would get the right top link.

/ Problem with class II Adjustable top Link #7  
I have never seen a top link like that. Top links look like the picture posted by LeeJohn. You also do not have the top link attached to the mower in the photograph you posted. The end of the top link has to be connected via the two holes on the pieces of metal sticking up in the photograph you posted, not just attached to the tractor and hanging down.

/ Problem with class II Adjustable top Link #8  
From the photo the top link looks unscrewed almost all the way. A little vibration may be enough to cause it to separate. I would recommend at least 1" of thread engagement on each end of the top link in addition to the locknut.

Tractor Supply sells top links of various lengths. There are also probably some on eBay. They come with the adjustment lengths defined (like 20" to 28"). Measure the length you need and buy a top link that is well within that length. The way your 3PH is set up it looks like you could use longer top link on other implements as well.

Here is a link to a TS extra long top link (20" to 32").
CountyLine® Adjustable Top Link, Cat. 1, Extra Long - Tractor Supply Online Store

The topic title says "Class II". Does that mean "Category 2", the larger size? Here is one (21" to 32"). Cat 1 and Cat 2 have different size pins that fit through the balls.

CountyLine® Adjustable Top Link, Cat. 2 - Tractor Supply Online Store

As a last resort you could weld some ears onto your mower top link connection point that would move the point closer to the tractor. About 6" ears should do it.

/ Problem with class II Adjustable top Link #9  
You are not tightening the "triangular locking thread device" tight enough. set it where you want it and hit it with a hammer to make it tight.

If it still vibrates loose, run a wire through the hole in the top link to the check chain, so that it cannot turn.