Problem with brush hog - need advice.

/ Problem with brush hog - need advice. #1  

Crown & Roots Farm

Tractor
1962 Ford 2000
Hey all - Looking for some advice regarding a brush hog.

We recently bought a 1962 Ford 2000 that came with a brush hog that is giving me some problems. The brush hog spins fine but when I lower it to start cutting it will cut for a second then loses power and the spinning slows way down. PTO continues to work, just the blades stop. It has the proper amount of fresh oil in it. We are thinking its got something to do with this old slip clutch.

Anyone know anything about this one? Should i just try to find a replacement part?

IMG_0561.jpg

/ Problem with brush hog - need advice. #2  
could be that, as you put force on the shaft changing length it slips? i would replace the slip clutch and check and grease the u joints.

/ Problem with brush hog - need advice. #3  
   / Problem with brush hog - need advice.
   / Problem with brush hog - need advice. #5  
The blades stop completely but the PTO is spinning? That slip clutch doesn't look like it's slipping to me from that one picture, did it make a noise or smell?

What happens if you spin the blade manually (engine off, PTO off)? Does it spin the PTO shaft? Slop? Have someone else hold the shaft and spin it again.

/ Problem with brush hog - need advice. #8  
Pay attention to what parts of the PTO shaft clutch assembly are still spinning when the blade stop. I agree with K5L that it looks like PTO is spinning on input shaft to slip clutch and like others say that clutch looks rusted solid.

what holds the PTO shaft onto the input shaft of the clutch? Is there key sheared off?

The blades stop completely but the PTO is spinning? That slip clutch doesn't look like it's slipping to me from that one picture, did it make a noise or smell?

What happens if you spin the blade manually (engine off, PTO off)? Does it spin the PTO shaft? Slop? Have someone else hold the shaft and spin it again.
thanks for the reply, i just spun the blades by hand and it does spin the pto shaft. also spun it while someone was holding the shaft and it moved with the blades spinning

Is it just me or does it look like the PTO shaft has been spinning on the clutch shaft? It likes bright and has circular marks.
I think you are exactly right