Problem with 20# propane tank valve

/ Problem with 20# propane tank valve #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I had two 20# propane tanks filled at the feed mill a few weeks back when it was in the single digits temp wise. The one tank was overfilled I am thinking as as soon as it warmed up it was hissing. However, I can't get the fuel to come out of the valve. I have hooked heaters up to it and even just opened the valve with nothing on it to see if the gas would come out. This is the older style valve and not the new mandatory valve required for most everyone else. We use these tanks for farm/construction use which is allowed. So does anyone have any ideas? I can get a pic of the valve tomorrow as it has one screw on the side of the valve but I don't want to mess with it as I have no idea what it is for. Is this something simple to fix or do I have 20 pounds of propane that is now trapped permanently?

/ Problem with 20# propane tank valve #2  
I believe the screw is a vent screw normally used when filling the tank.
Might try letting some gas out and try the valve again.
Could the valve be frozen? That can happen with moisture in the tank.

/ Problem with 20# propane tank valve
I believe the screw is a vent screw normally used when filling the tank.
Might try letting some gas out and try the valve again.
Could the valve be frozen? That can happen with moisture in the tank.

The valve may have been frozen initially but it has been stored in an area around 50 degrees for a couple weeks and still didn't work. The valve feels like normal when you turn it to open it but it acts like its plugged as no gas even starts to leak out of the valve when its open.

/ Problem with 20# propane tank valve #4  
A lot of propane valves have overflow protectors, which stop propane from escaping if someone opens the valve with nothing attached. I don't know exactly how they work, but there could be some kind of interaction with overfilling and the overflow protector. This is separate and different from the new overfill protection valves.

Either take the tank back, or if you are feeling adventurous, take the tank outside, to a safe area and open the little screw to bleed off some of the overfill. Standard precautions about flames, ignition sources etc. apply.

/ Problem with 20# propane tank valve #5  
Robert,

If I ever get one of those tanks without the OPD valve on it, I just take it to Walmart and do a swap. They never notice and give me a tank with the new OPD valve.

Then I have a tank that I can take and get filled.

Chris

/ Problem with 20# propane tank valve #6  
A lot of propane valves have overflow protectors, which stop propane from escaping if someone opens the valve with nothing attached.

OPD valves for sure have this feature. Before OPD I had a tank with the feature and ended up having to change out the regulator on my BBQ as, for whatever reason, it would no longer seat properly to allow gas out. Worked fine on another tank though so...

Robert, have you tried hooking something else to the tank? i.e. weed burner etc. and see if that works?

Robert,

If I ever get one of those tanks without the OPD valve on it, I just take it to Walmart and do a swap. They never notice and give me a tank with the new OPD valve.

Then I have a tank that I can take and get filled.

Chris

I can get our tanks filled that don't have OPD valves on them. We do not actually want the OPD valve for our torches. We can get our tanks filled at any fill station as all we have to do is show them the tag on our tank saying that it does not have an OPD valve and that we use it for construction use which allows it to be filled. The OPD valves are for homeowners.

OPD valves for sure have this feature. Before OPD I had a tank with the feature and ended up having to change out the regulator on my BBQ as, for whatever reason, it would no longer seat properly to allow gas out. Worked fine on another tank though so...

Robert, have you tried hooking something else to the tank? i.e. weed burner etc. and see if that works?

I have hooked two different style heaters to this tank and neither would work. I think the valve froze and one of our workers snapped the stem. I opened the screw on the side and drained off a lot of pressure and the valve still never opened so I just left it open and let it drain out.

And maybe they should be for contractors as well...:D :D for the reasons you are having the problem.

The problem with the OPD valve is it doesn't allow our roofing torches to work properly.