Problem-036 Stihl.

/ Problem-036 Stihl. #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well I started my 036 Stihl, locked the clutch and left it running while I picked up a log with the grapple. Before I could get out of the deere, I noticed white smoke coming from the saw-like around the drive sprocket. Byn the time I got to it it had stalled-fired a bit but would not run and then it seems the starter locked up. I bought this saw 20 years ago- 600 bucks then!- and hate to think its something other than clutch. I would bet in twenty years it has averaged no more than 2 or 3 cords a year.

Any thoughts? What is the corresponding stihl todau to an 036?

/ Problem-036 Stihl. #2  
MS361 I believe.. Your 036 issue doesn't sound good but I'm no expert.. I use to go to Bolton orchards all the time when I lived in MA, did you buy your tractor at Padula?

/ Problem-036 Stihl.
MS361 I believe.. Your 036 issue doesn't sound good but I'm no expert..

Thx-and I'm no expert either but I'm hoping its the clutch

/ Problem-036 Stihl. #4  
MS362 would be its replacement today.

I'd pull the clutch drum and see what things look like. Also look at the clutch drum bearing.

/ Problem-036 Stihl.
MS362 would be its replacement today.

I'd pull the clutch drum and see what things look like. Also look at the clutch drum bearing.

Did that-clutch was fine-but drive gear that I believe powers the chain oiler- ???- looks like it siezed-figured I'd be going back sand forth to dealer so put everything in a box and took it to Stihl dealer!

Stay tuned.

/ Problem-036 Stihl.
MS361 I believe.. Your 036 issue doesn't sound good but I'm no expert.. I use to go to Bolton orchards all the time when I lived in MA, did you buy your tractor at Padula?

I live right across street from Bolton Orchards big orchard-must be close to a sq. mile! Bought a new 3720 from Padulas but the 4720 was a "score" on craigs- 205 hours! I'll never have such good luck again.

/ Problem-036 Stihl. #7  
Did that-clutch was fine-but drive gear that I believe powers the chain oiler- ???- looks like it siezed-figured I'd be going back sand forth to dealer so put everything in a box and took it to Stihl dealer!

Stay tuned.

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I've got an 036 that's a great saw. Whatever happens DON'T let the dealer keep that saw. I don't care if they say it's totally fried. If it is, it's still worth something to someone (like me). Basically it's very likely that it'll be repairable. The oil pump in that model is a PITA, but it can be done. Good luck, and if you decide on a new one, let me know. I'll make you an offer on the old one.

Also, 362 is the new model, but there's different ones. The new new model is lighter and stronger than the previous 362. It has two horizonal lines on the clutch cover unlike the old model which just has a normal cover. It's available in m-tronic or regular carb. They're good saws. Over $700, though.

/ Problem-036 Stihl.
Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I've got an 036 that's a great saw. Whatever happens DON'T let the dealer keep that saw. I don't care if they say it's totally fried. If it is, it's still worth something to someone (like me). Basically it's very likely that it'll be repairable. The oil pump in that model is a PITA, but it can be done. Good luck, and if you decide on a new one, let me know. I'll make you an offer on the old one.

Also, 362 is the new model, but there's different ones. The new new model is lighter and stronger than the previous 362. It has two horizonal lines on the clutch cover unlike the old model which just has a normal cover. It's available in m-tronic or regular carb. They're good saws. Over $700, though.

MTB-Have no fear on me leaving the saw there. this place has been around a long time and has a lot of commercial trade vs homeowners.
As for the 036, I've seen used ones on craigs for 450. they have a good rep. I borrowed a pals 039 to tide me over till I get mine back. Seems like its pretty much the same saw.

/ Problem-036 Stihl. #9  
Is your saw an 036 or 036 pro?

An 039 is is a completely different saw. It is a plastic case farm and ranch saw. It is in the same family as the 029. MS290.

/ Problem-036 Stihl. #10  
036 is a easy saw to work on and trouble shoot. Worth learning figuring dealer cost. ;)

I dont care if they were burned up I would rebuild them. Rebuild, Muffler Mod and updating clutch drum and bearing etc. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/stihl/stihl-036-pro-trade-in/

036 360 361 good saws. I would skip the OE 362 , now the redesigned type II NE 362 that is the lightest of the bunch I would like to try.