Prices on driveway paving

/ Prices on driveway paving #41  
Bought the place in 1980 with 500 ft. gravel drive, it's almost level. After about 15 years after garage built I had asphalt paved back then about $6,500, they paved drive and garage area total 8,000 sq.ft.
I had it repaved a year ago, drive a bit wider so 8,500 sq. ft. picture shows close to end near house. $24K. I recently had it sealcoated $6,500 what original paving cost. It's the best thing I ever did. The house floors stay clean, no gravel dust. We roll carts on it almost daily. Unless we get over a foot of snow I hand shovel...it's so easy.
20231230_152351.jpg

/ Prices on driveway paving #42  
There are several types of permeable concrete and asphalt. The most common type would be FC-5; which is what you see on the top lift of high speed roadways. You Don't want that. It doesn't hold up well to turning movements, and it has to be placed on a normal SP type asphalt, and it's expensive, and not good for handwork.

The other types of permeable asphalt typically don't hold up well to extremes in heat, so its not really used down here, I know it exists but I've never seen it.

I've seen permeable concrete, but not widely. What I've seen more in that use case, is open grid blocks, with grass or aggregate in the center 'void' of the paver blocks. This is mostly about reducing the imperiable surface area, for drainage permitting.

For more common, hot mix, asphalts; there are dozens of mix designs;
For broud capagories:
Marshall Mixes; an older type, no longer used on roads, but a bit cheaper than Super Pave, many plants no longer make this; it's cheaper, and would be fine for a driveway
S-1; uses 1/2" max sized aggregate
S-3; uses 3/8"

Super Pave; the modern common class; a good ware resistant, general purpose asphalt
SP-9.5 9.5mm rock (3/8")
SP-12.5 12.5mm rock (1/2")
SP-19 19mm rock (3/4")
SP-25 25mm rock (1") never actually seen this, but it does exist in Georgia

Friction (closed grade), a wear resistant, good traction, top lift of asphalt for roadways
FC-9.5; has additional polymer binders, that improve vehicle traction; 9.5mm rock
FC-12.5

Friction (open grade)
FC-5; this is a different material; where you specifically don't have a lot of different rock sizes, so it creates kinda a somewhat open web of rock/binder; allowing great traction, and allows water to kinda run through the voids; used on 55mph plus; where there isn't turning movements; so primarily 4 lane roads

Each of these is made in multiple traffic levels (ie ware resistance). Traffic Level-B should be a typical low speed, county/city road, and Traffic Level-C would be a state road. Traffic Level-D might be used in port loading areas/major trucking distribution centers, and other extreme environments.

Typically smaller rock will resist rutting less, but will have a nicer, smoother, ride and appearance

So, a fairly typical roadway paving;
State Road; 2.5" of Sp-12.5 and then 1.5" of FC-12.5
County Road (minor and/or low speed) 1.5" SP-12.5
County Road (major and/or high speed) 2" SP-12.5 and then 1" FC-9.5

You typically can't lay asphalt thinner than 2.5x the max aggregate size (so, 9.5mm would be min of 1"; 12.5mm would be a min. lift of 1.5"), at the same time, you wouldn't want to lay more than maybe 1.5" of 9.5mm per lift, or 2.5" of 12.5mm, but you could go to something like 3-3.5" of a 19mm mix.

There are also cold mix asphalts, that use a solvent instead of heat to keep the asphalt cement liquid/flexible, this is what you see in bags at home depot, but it is also sold by the ton at some batch plants. It's Far from ideal for anything other than patching; but I've heard of special designs being used in India/Alaska.

Recently, there is a new type of patching asphalt, called Aquaphalt; its like $80 for a 3 gal bucket; but it uses an organic polymere that is activated by water; so you can dump it straight in a water filled pot hole. So far, it seems like a better product than any existing 'cold patch'.

There has been work with 100% recycled asphalt; where they heat straight millings upto like 500 degrees F, and get them to somewhat bond. It's been used for shoulder drop offs, and other places where you don't really Need true asphalt, and it is cheaper. This is not a replacement for real asphalt, as it was milled up cause the AC (asphaltic cement) content is low, and then you burnt out more of it, super heating it.

Chip Seal; type spray a liquid AC on the base, then spread a single layer of 1/2" or 3/8" graded washed rock on the Hot AC, and then Traffic roll it (rubber tired roller). They then can add another layer or even 2 layers on top of that.

Micro Pave or Microsurfacing; (never done this, but did some reading) is very similar to chip seal; but used asphalt emulsions, with added polymers instead of straight AC.
Good comments .
Modified Marshall mix is still common in Ohio especially on low volume roads and driveways.
Micro surfacing is more of maintenance item for existing roads, very good at extending pavement life.
open graded asphalt is also used on hills to prevent freezing of surface water

/ Prices on driveway paving #43  
There are designed sand/gravel mixes for soil cement that can be spread by screed type equipment or bladed equipment. It requires packing and is usually paved over.

Don’t forget that Florida asphalt will be different in design than Montana asphalt.

Pavers are no different than other coverings in that they need a proper base to sit on. Frost heaves and other such damaged small areas are an easy fix. They can be layed by machine.

/ Prices on driveway paving #44  
N. TX. About 35 cubic yards (???) - roughly 18'x200'x2.5" plus some pad. Old gravel drive needed to be scraped/leveled.

Outfit that did the work seemed like a larger, local, commercial type.

$15K 2 years ago.

It could use a little crack repair and seal, quotes go from $1-4k, cost spread seems odd for a paint job.

I know nothing about it, kinda like my tractor, they both seem to work fine.

/ Prices on driveway paving #45  
Did a 3" asphalt overlay on top of a older asphalt driveway in 2020. Driveway is about 600' long and 10' wide for most of it, with flare out at the road side and a 'funnel' shaped parking area maybe 50' wide at the house side. I think it ended up around 6000 sq ft, though I could be remembering wrong. No grading or other work besides the application of overlay. Cost $17k. It was a lot of money but it is a big driveway. I think the cost to remove existing pavement and pave fresh was going to be in the mid 20k range.