Price of a cord of firewood

/ Price of a cord of firewood #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
Am curious as to what you all pay in your areas for a cord of wood. I cut my own now, but used to pay 200+ for a full cord of clean hardwood. Around here no one stacks it for you, but I bet that's not true in other areas. Perhaps for an extra fee. Here it's dump and run.

of course this also begs the question, are you getting a full cord? No way of telling when it comes out of a dump truck into a big pile.

thanks Drew

/ Price of a cord of firewood #2  
Prices here in the Thomaston Maine area range from $275-$325 for a cord of seasoned hard wood, dumped not stacked. I stack it and verify it is a full cord, so far if I have come up short my suppliers have no issue making it right. Presently most of the suppliers I have used are out of seasoned wood. I only use about 1 cord of wood a season, saves me from having to run the electric heat unless we go out of town.

/ Price of a cord of firewood #3  
I just paid $250 for a cord of seasoned mixed hardwoods. I'll be stacking it today (and over the next few days) to see if I actually got a full cord.
This is in central Vermont, by the way...and it looks like most sellers are out of seasoned wood.

/ Price of a cord of firewood #4  
A cord goes for 180to 225 dumped in NE Ohio

/ Price of a cord of firewood
we had been getting two cord a year from the same local guy it seems forever, and his wood was very nice. Always seemed like a mountain on the driveway, and thank goodness the second year I wised up and put a huge tarp down. Made cleanup a lot easier.

I see ads in the 175 to 250 range here. While I may live in the upper Philadelphia suburbs, we aren't far from the Poconos so there's plenty of wood around, assuming it isn't protected. It's interesting that the Maine prices quoted were more expensive. Different wood? I'm burning all cherry tonight, from a fall down. About two years old. And sometimes you get some hunks of walnut, and boy is that pretty. All local wood. Is the Maine wood a nice mix also or all of one type?

Good evening guests, we'll be burning some nice Vermont birch tonight....:D

/ Price of a cord of firewood #6  
Up here in Michigan it goes for about $150 to $225 for three face cord [ 4'X8'X16" each ], which would be equiv to one full cord of wood.. usually not stacked, and sometimes not delivered. There was a local guy down the road who was buying big 20 full cord loads and wacking it up.. he was the one that would deliver three of the face cord locally for $50 each. But, for the life of me, I don't know how you can do that much work for so little money...... :)

It's the middle of November and they are out of seasoned wood? Wonder if a lot of folk up there are expecting a hard winter...yet there are mountains and mountains of wood at local processors not far from my home, with wood that's been out there all year. Seasoned wood. They ought to take some huge trucks out of this area and head North...

/ Price of a cord of firewood #8  
It's the middle of November and they are out of seasoned wood? Wonder if a lot of folk up there are expecting a hard winter...yet there are mountains and mountains of wood at local processors not far from my home, with wood that's been out there all year. Seasoned wood. They ought to take some huge trucks out of this area and head North...

So I'm told (and take it with a grain of salt), this area had some pretty mild winters over the last several years...until last winter. I guess folks are making up for not bringing wood in.
Hopefully, a real Vermonter (I'm a newbie) will chime in and confirm or dispute what I wrote.

how you can do that much work for so little money......

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

as one who does it, boy do I agree with you. But I do it for fun and exercise, but if I have to buy, I've never felt this market was overpriced. When I think of my investment in multiple saws, chains, fuel, oil, peaveys, etc, etc, vs. just having it materialize where you want it when you want it. It seems a very good value to me overall. Unlike buying gasoline or diesel whose price is totally artificial.

/ Price of a cord of firewood #10  
how you can do that much work for so little money......

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

as one who does it, boy do I agree with you. But I do it for fun and exercise, but if I have to buy, I've never felt this market was overpriced. When I think of my investment in multiple saws, chains, fuel, oil, peaveys, etc, etc, vs. just having it materialize where you want it when you want it. It seems a very good value to me overall. Unlike buying gasoline or diesel whose price is totally artificial.

Yup, I heat my barn with wood for a ' fun activity '... If I was cutting/splittling/stacking wood to sell... $100 a face cord would be my starting point at my age.... :)