Pretty proud

/ Pretty proud
Honestly I didn't feel too great after chewing my one sons butt out pretty hard. Ranks right up there when I pulled him out of the car while on the University of Tennessee's campus coming back from a play.

Trying to work on that, my father did the same with me, bordering on the lines of verbal abuse (I've instructed my boys that if they're getting "chewed out", keep your mouth shut and worst case, just nod in affirmation, NOT talk back). My fear is they don't know when to keep their mouth shut and it's going to get them into trouble when they don't have to deal with me. That said, pertaining to how my dad raised me, I love my dad, and even though he ripped into me from time to time, love him dearly.

My boys know the one thing that will set me off is not listening to their mother.

Last edited:
   / Pretty proud #12  
Honestly I didn't feel too great after chewing my one sons butt out pretty hard. Ranks right up there when I pulled him out of the car while on the University of Tennessee's campus coming back from a play.

Trying to work on that, my father did the same with me, bordering on the lines of verbal abuse (I've instructed my boys that if they're getting "chewed out", keep your mouth shut and worst case, just nod in affirmation, NOT talk back). My fear is they don't know when to keep their mouth shut and it's going to get them into trouble when they don't have to deal with me. That said, pertaining to how my dad raised me, I love my dad, and even though he ripped into me from time to time, love him dearly.

My boys know the one thing that will set me off is not listening to their mother.

I raised my 2 boys with 5 basic rules

1. Don't lie
2. Don't embarrass the family
3. Make good grades
4. Be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there.
5. You will give 100% effort to everything you do and if you don't you will likely be told you suck, not nice try.

I don't believe in trying, you do. It is ok to lose or get beat but you will put forth effort. I also don't believe in excuses. You make your own luck and if things don't work out for you, figure something else out that will work.

These simple rules pretty much cover anything they could possibly do that you wouldn't want them to do and any 5 yr old can understand. There were also immediate consequences for failing to measure up to those standards. I can't tell you how many stares I got when my boys were doing knuckle push-ups when they misbehaved in public, but I believe in immediate consequences and with today's everyone gets a trophy and we don't want to hurt their self esteem crowd you never know what would happen.

Both my boys graduated in 4 yrs from college with honors. One played 4 yrs of baseball and made Academic All Conference each year. The other is going to pursue a PHD in Math. They aren't perfect and the Math major is more than exasperating at times, but they both grew up to be pretty good men.

/ Pretty proud #13  
I makes me feel good to read stories about good kids growing up to be good adults. Not perfect but with a good understanding of what is right and what is wrong.

There may yet be hope for the future. There are still a lot of kids learning that its one hand extended for the "hand out" - the other extended with the gun.

/ Pretty proud #14  
laughing at the Hogwarts yelling. I have done the same...and gotten "that" stare from wifey.

Sounds like your boys have a good foundation to build upon.