Pressure Washers

/ Pressure Washers #1  

poorboy

Silver Member
It has come to my attention that I need to buy a pressure washer by spring. Altough I hate to buy more toys I guess I'll give in Kind of reminds me of the fox and the briar patch. I would like to spend about 400 bucks on a gas model but I'm not sure of the quality. I'll probably use it to spray off the houses, vechicles, and farm machinery when I put them up. Can anyone recommend a model or some problems to watch out for?

/ Pressure Washers #2  
I purchase gas power from Sears about 7 years ago..3hp,and still working like a charm...oh yes those pressure washers do take paint of the house /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif be careful.

/ Pressure Washers #3  
I've been researching them myself. The Sears one's look good and seem to be priced right. Lowes has some Generac's that look about the same as the Sears ones, but for less money ($270 for a 2100PSI one with 6HP engine). They both have one of the things I'm looking for - metal wands. I want a metal one because it can be unscrewed and replaced with a shorter one or a flexible one to make so it can be used under fenderwells and other tight spots.

/ Pressure Washers #4  
I would lean towards the Honda engines. They area quieter, require less tinkering (to keep running), and will give you a longer life.
Sam's Club has a pretty nice setup for about $500. I believe it is a 3500psi w/ a 6hp(I think) horizontal shaft Honda.
I bought the Generac 2400psi from Lowes for $400.00. It has a Honda 5.5 vertical shaft, but the pump seems kind of light duty. I had to replace the unit once because of pump failure. I would'nt have minded so much, but the unit had less than 10 hours on it. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
But, the new one has done just fine. If I were to do it again, I would probably go for the one at Sams. Good Luck.

/ Pressure Washers #6  
I purchased a pressure washer last summer, did quite a bit of research and talking to suppliers and rental firms. I was told to get one with a Honda engine and a belt driven pump if possible and avoid radial pumps. I was told that there are many grades of pumps, with CAT being one of the better (and more expensive) and price pretty much goes up with expected life. I ended up getting a Northern Tool unit with 5.5 Honda engine and direct connect General Pump 3gmp/2500 psi and interchangeable nozzles. It has served me well, cleaned the deck, house, tractor, under side of the vehicles, cleaned the down sprout drains using special tip the connects onto hose directly, then you feed the hose into the pipe, blasted hornet nests from under the deck and bird nest from over bathroom window. It will remove paint off vehicles (purposely on our 89 Ford PU), masonary, and probably everything else. Avoid small electric units, neighbor got one to clean his deck (12x15) and it blew the pump within 2 hours of work. Took it back and was they weren't surprised, most others had come back with less than 25 hours of use.

/ Pressure Washers #7  
Well, I was very hesitant to take the step, but for $100 I figured I couldn't go wrong.
I bought one of the CH 1750psi Electric power washers. I wasn't expecting much of a unit, but I'm plesently supprised. Now it's not going to compete with the huge 3500psi/3gpm machines, but for washing off the tractor/car/mower/ATV it's got plenty of Umph. And the thing I really like about it, is that when you aren't spraying the unit isn't running. The motor only operates when it's needed.
So, if I want to get a soap bucket and was off some heavy grime, then I don't have to listen to a dag blame gas engine running full out. And even when it is operating this little thing is still just a hummmm and not a putt..putt..putt.

Just my $.02 worth.

gary

/ Pressure Washers #8  
<font color=red>I was told to get one with a Honda engine and a belt driven pump. </font color=red>
I was told the excact same thing. I bought a 13 HP Honda through USA pressure wash systems up to 4000 psi,with a 100' of hose and a special rotating nozzle for cleaning concrete. High pressure water cleaning is great.
It is really amazing to the things you can use it for.

/ Pressure Washers #9  
I bought a Karcher gas model powered by a B&S engine,
1700psi, from Home Depot about 5 years ago. 1700 psi
is just barely enough. I use it for pressure cleaning my
brick front porch and for desliming things I have to store
out in the woods (camper top, etc). A 2200 psi unit
would be better.

I don't think I even have 100 hours on this thing but
the B&S engine is a bear to start except in the summer
when it's warm. If I need to pressure wash when it's
cold out comes the can of starting fluid and even that
doesn't always work. At some point I will yard sale
this and buy a new Honda-engined model.

I love Honda engines. They just work.

Timd

/ Pressure Washers #10  
Po' boy,

I got my B&S 6HP, 2300psi Generac at Lowes for 299.00. No problems yet, and I still take flack from my friends because it is a B&S instead of a Honda.

At the time, I couldn't find a Honda as cheap as they are getting them on this thread. I didn't look at Sams Club.

Buck