Prepping for grass seed

/ Prepping for grass seed #11  
I agree that getting a soil test will be your first best option. If your soil pH isn't right, any $$ you spend on seed, fertilizer, chemicals, etc would be like taking $100 bills and burning them in your driveway. They won't be effective. Once your soil is re-balanced then you can plant your native seed and fertilize accordingly.

But you're gonna have to provide consistent and frequent moisture to the entire area, to get the seeds to germinate. And grass seed is planted only 1/8"-1/4" down, depending on the seed type. So frequent watering is a must.

/ Prepping for grass seed
Thanks everyone. I do appreciate the information!

I'm in Texas, north of Fort Worth, near the Red River. I have had a soil test done and the grass seed I'm planning to use is Turner Turf, which is buffalo grass and blue grama mix. The ground is pretty hard. That photo is at least a year old and we've had a lot of erosion so I would like to get it smoothed out before planting.

/ Prepping for grass seed #13  
I've always slit seeded my lawn. It's two acres, but thats doable. You can rent 3pt drills. It took a couple years to get a nice solid stand, but it's worth the time. This was a really poor hay field when we built a few years ago. Seeded twice. A little fertilizer. Pre emergent in the spring to knock down the weed seed bank over a few years.

IMG_20231027_181416.jpg

/ Prepping for grass seed #14  
Too bad you're not further North and, seed bed was prepped to take advantage of the weather using the frost seeding method. You're basically mimicking Mother Nature. Spread the seed and when the dirt honeycombs due to freeze, when it thaws it will pull the seed covering it.

That's how I reseed my small pastures, works like a champ. Usually do mine in the last 2 weeks of Feb., first 2 weeks of March. Just have to wait on that window of opportunity when the ground is frozen, and little wind using my old Garber Seed Easy broadcast spreader.

Attachments

• DSC00018.JPG
    DSC00018.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 34
   / Prepping for grass seed #15  
So - this is what I did on a 3/4 acre pasture near my house. I have a homemade "drag". Smooth on one side - turn it over it's toothed.

Hooked it behind my ATV and thoroughly drug the pasture - tooth side down. Hand seeded the pasture with seed from a local seed company. They said - "made for local soil conditions - no need to add any augments" - they were right.

Hand seeded the pasture - turned the drag over - teeth up - drug the pasture to cover the seed.
My home made drag and the pasture now - after three years.

IMG_0002.jpeg
IMG_0079.jpeg

/ Prepping for grass seed #16  
I did 17 acres of field a few years ago, I spreaded my seed and fertilizer with a PTO spreader, then rolled it. This is was for making hay.

1707649642373.png

before seeding, it was a little too soft it did took a while for the seed to germinate but they did.
1707649607611.png

First fall (seeded in early June this was late September we also had a wet year) after the first trim
1707649663711.png

Second year mid summer
1707649725747.png

/ Prepping for grass seed #17  
The seed I got from the big seed company had all native seed. There were many different mixtures. I bought the one they recommended. There is one spot - next to the burn barrel - where nothing has ever grown. Not enough soil over bedrock.