Preparing Thanksgiving Dinner

/ Preparing Thanksgiving Dinner #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
First I wanted to remind everybody to be sure to thank whoever prepares your Thanksgiving Meal. My wife has been battling a sinus infection since the weekend but she and I have cleaned house Monday and Tuesday. Well, I worked all day at my mother's Monday and my wife spent all morning at the doctor's office. But after the doctor visit she started cleaning. Tuesday we finished spit shining everything and started moving furniture to set up portable tables. We finished the setup today and she started cooking. In this situation she is the QUEEN and I am the PEON. I do what I am told, somewhat cheerfully. For various reasons we will be down on the number of guests this year and only expect thirty to thirty five. Which brings me to the second reminder.

Second, if you are invited to a meal somewhere please respond to the invitation and let the hosts know if you are coming or not. Some relatives never let us know and they may show up or they may not. Others respond every year and let us know if they will attend or not. When you vary between thirty and forty eight (the record) guests it really helps to know. We have been set up for forty plus and had thirty five show. Next year set up for thirty five and forty five show. Makes it hard to plan. Wife complained to her aunts, aunts cracked the whip over their children and grands. Now we usually know how many.

Third, when the meal is finished don't be shy about helping with the cleanup. It seems like it is always the same ones who do this while the same ones go sit and talk. Every year. While it is mostly the women who do the clean up my 6'7" 280-pound son-in-law is usually right in the middle of them having a great time. If nothing else take out the trash. The aunt that has the best time is here two hours early and is one of the last to leave. She works and has a great time.

This is my wife's side coming tomorrow and the surviving aunts and their children are the old fashioned country style cooks. There will be enough food here to feed a small army. And the food is good, not the "open a can and heat it in a pan' type cooking.

Now I just have to compose a proper prayer.

RSKY

/ Preparing Thanksgiving Dinner #3  
I would add if you're invited someplace for a meal, make certain you're there before the desigated dinner time, NOT AFTER the designated dinner time.

For prayers, I've found the only proper prayer is one that comes from the heart.

/ Preparing Thanksgiving Dinner #4  
Sigarms, you are right on both accounts. I hope all have a great Thanksgiving.

/ Preparing Thanksgiving Dinner #5  
Agreed, all have a great Thanksgiving.

On that note, let us not forget that although we may apall the butchery of beheading people, the pilgrams beheaded a native indian and put his head on a pike for all to see.

Kind of puts things into persepctive IMO:D