Preparing site for first planting

/ Preparing site for first planting #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
Got a few questions on preparing a site for a first planting. I have about an acre on the far side of my pond that has always been considered "yard". It is a typical mixture of native grasses/weed/clover. It is dense cover though and when mowed regularly looks quite good. I am wanting to turn this into a pumpkin patch for planting next spring. What is the best way to prepare this plot for planting? I know that if I just plow the top under I will be overrun with weeds and grass quickly and want to know the best way to deal with getting rid of it. I assume I have two options. Chemical spray or removal of the top few inches. I assume if I use a herbicide, it needs to be a "kill specific" chemical since I want the grass and weeds gone but don't want something like Round Up since I want to be able to plant pumpkins next spring. What do you guys recommend as the best method of dealing with this first step. I don't have a sprayer set up for the tractor yet but assume I will have to get one sooner or later since this is something I plan on doing every year and assume I will need to apply herbicides each year. I do have a "sod cutter" I fabricated several years ago for my tractor and could strip the top layer of grass and roots pretty quickly but then have to deal with removing that from the area. Neither of these methods bother me to do, just want to know what would be best or if there is another method that would be better.
Thanks.

/ Preparing site for first planting #2  
As far as vegetation, the roundup only acts on green stuff. So you spray it, it dies, you plow it under and then future growth is unaffected. Weed seeds will not be effected nor will their growth, nor will your pumpkins future growth. It is not a soil sterilizer.

/ Preparing site for first planting #3  
Highbeam is right.
In my case I cut a few inches off the top and removed the soil. Then plowed the rest. I let the remaining weed seed germinate and grow (you can't get them all anyway by scraping). When they sprout, use Round-up to kill them. The idea is to let all the weeds sprout again but not to let them get to seed. When they are dead, till them under or disc and plant your crop. Hopefully most of the weeds will have shot their wad. It may take a season to do it that way though. I got fairly good results but still had about 20% weeds.

/ Preparing site for first planting
3RRL said:
Highbeam is right.
In my case I cut a few inches off the top and removed the soil. Then plowed the rest. I let the remaining weed seed germinate and grow (you can't get them all anyway by scraping). When they sprout, use Round-up to kill them. The idea is to let all the weeds sprout again but not to let them get to seed. When they are dead, till them under or disc and plant your crop. Hopefully most of the weeds will have shot their wad. It may take a season to do it that way though. I got fairly good results but still had about 20% weeds.
Thanks guys. What method did you use to remove the top few inches? I was planning on starting this project this fall in part because it is soooo much cooler and also I have been nursing my tractor to put off splitting it for a clutch replacement until mowing season is over. After what was mentioned though, I wonder if I would be better off removing the top layer now so I could have enough time to get that second shot at any new weeds/grass coming up with Round Up this year. That way next spring I would be at the 80% eradication stage instead of starting off with the potential of substantially more. THAT of course means splitting the tractor soon ( a chore that I know is pretty straight forward but worries me nontheless due to it being my first time putting one in. Being without the tractor for even a week would be pretty bad this time of year). Oh well, I'm rambling now but this predicament is the classic story of my life--Things seldom ever go as planned or as easy as it should be ;)

/ Preparing site for first planting #5  
What method did you use to remove the top few inches?

I used my boxblade to cut off the top 2" or so. I dragged the box only until it got full and no more. Dumped the spoils right where the box got full each pass and then came back with the fel bucket, picked it up and moved it all to a pile. I repeated until I got the size area I wanted. I did not drag the top soil to the dump spot. If the box gets full, then it rides over the other top soil and doesn't remove that part. You want to cut it off.

You'd be surprised how doing that does not slow down the weeds or native flowers and grasses that grow even after doing that. I probably should have done the whole scenario completely over 2 times to get less weeds/native grasses and flowers. But I was too anxious to get my plot going.

/ Preparing site for first planting #6  
You have enough lead time that you may get pretty good results just turning everything under and tilling it....repeatedly. I did that to get a field ready for corn and it worked pretty well, plus all that organic stuff got incorporated into the soil. Till it now and wait for stuff to sprout, then till it again. You could first burn off the area if the growth is heavy, and would burn.

Chuck

/ Preparing site for first planting #7  
id vote for bottom plow to turn... round now.. let it sit and anything that comes up a second time can be disc'd under at late fall.

disc again in spring for planting.

perfer to pay for deisel in the tractor vs roundup on the ground.

/ Preparing site for first planting #8  
schmism said:
id vote for bottom plow to turn... round now.. let it sit and anything that comes up a second time can be disc'd under at late fall.

disc again in spring for planting.

perfer to pay for deisel in the tractor vs roundup on the ground.

I agree with schmism. You can pickup and older plow and disc or cultivator very cheaply second hand or even new. You can use it again each year too.

And you would get more tractor time that with RoundUp :D

/ Preparing site for first planting
I have to agree that turning it under/disking sounds best. Guess I need to get some clutch parts ordered soon.

Thanks for all the input. Will keep you guys updated.

/ Preparing site for first planting #10  
Kernopelli said:
I have to agree that turning it under/disking sounds best. Guess I need to get some clutch parts ordered soon.

Thanks for all the input. Will keep you guys updated.

Make sure you take some pics when you do it :D