Preparing for a lawn?

/ Preparing for a lawn? #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
Am I kidding myself to use a rear blade to rough grade my friends yard to prepare for seeding or sodding? I do not have a grader box, and hate to spend the $ for a one time use. Thoughts?

/ Preparing for a lawn? #2  
I think it would be possible to do it, but it will take a LOT longer with the blade than with a box. Probably so much longer that it would be worth it in time and frustration to go ahead and rent a box.

/ Preparing for a lawn? #3  
Depends on exactly the shape of the ground now. If you're just needing to level spots, push pull dirt etc, you can do it with you blade and fel.

Now if you want a box blade here's great chance to get experience and maybe have your friend/neighbor chip in $50 or $100 for your working on his lawn.... just a thought.

/ Preparing for a lawn? #4  
Keep in mind that a simple blade does not cut hard soil very well. If it is loose and rough, you can probably smooth it out ok. If it is hard and rough, the blade will probably just scrape along on the high spots. If it is hard, you will probably need something to cut down into the soil; box with rippers, tiller, heavy disc, etc.

/ Preparing for a lawn? #5  
Another tip is to scarify with a tooth bar then reverse the back blade to level rather than scrape.

Carl

/ Preparing for a lawn? #6  
or use float control if you have it.

/ Preparing for a lawn? #7  
I am just putting in some large areas of lawn. It's not a putting green, but I refer to it as "Country Grass". My method involves leveling as much as possible with the FEL. I have a toothbar that I can put down and back blade with the FEL to loosen up the soil a little bit. Then I back blade with the FEL to get it as level as possible. Then my "Hi-Tech" lawn prep tool is a 6ft. 6x6 with a chunk of cyclone fence attached to it. Total investment.... $0.00. I rig it up behind my tractor, hook up a piece of rope to use as a handle and stand on the 6x6 while my neighbor drives the tractor around the area to be prepped. This knocks down the high spots, fills in the low spots and the cyclone fence really smooths it out nicely. I got the idea watching how they drag the infields at baseball parks. It really does work well.

Greg

/ Preparing for a lawn? #8  
Good, but do you need to kill all the weeds and grass first? seems to me you need to work with just dirt, bw

/ Preparing for a lawn? #9  
Assuming dirt and its not to hard or rough give it a shot. If it doesn't work maybe your friend can rent a box blade or some other piece equipment. If there is grass there already the rear blade may not do much.

/ Preparing for a lawn? #10  
i did the basic same thing when i had to do an area that my new septic system was installed on. back blade wont do much unless the soil is loose.