power trac --what others are saying

/ power trac --what others are saying #1  

bubenberg

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT425, Kubota L2050, 3 hydrostatic Exmark mowers. Z21D Kubota ZTR, 2 Kunz acrease wing mowers, 1 rough cut kunz mower, one vintage grasshopper ztr, one vintage gravely ztr, various large garden tracto
here is a professionals opinion:
ohiolawnguy

these 2 items dont make us the most money overall, but i would say they have the highest profit percentage, as opposed to how work would be done otherwise.

both pieces can be quick attached to our power trac in under 40 seconds

1. aerator
2. power trac's version of the harley box rake.

/ power trac --what others are saying #2  
Which aerator, there are two of them?

KCook

/ power trac --what others are saying
agronomically the only one i can recommend is the core aerator, more expensive, but you are really doing the real thing of remowing compacted soil, turning soil over and in case of new seedlings you crate a very excellent seed bed.

the other pt version i remember from my grad. ag. machinery course days only adds to the compactation of the soil.

there are other type of aerators, pt does not have one at this time, which do an equally good job as the core aerator. we have one from jrco called "the hooker": http://www.jrcoinc.com/ which slices the ground. much used in reducing compactation of athletic fields.

aeration passages recommended is at least two passages from different directions.

frequency depending on the use of the turf and the geographical region but at least two times a year is is what we use here in the mid atlantic area.

if the soil is too hard wait until you get some moisture in the ground, by either socking the ground with a hose, irrigation or by mother nature.

/ power trac --what others are saying #5  
Do you need to pick up the cores after you are done? Or does the machine pick them up for you?.

KCook

aeration is to air, till, reduce compaction of the soil and the plugs are to create a seed bed for new plants, such as in overseeding or just to aide the regular cycle of a lawn ( an natural recycling process).
not that i do not know that some, excuse me, **** homeowners, have their lawn mowers remove the plugs. you remove allot of nutrition and valuable topsoil in this process of collecting the plugs.

/ power trac --what others are saying #7  
I have always used a pull behind unit that just pushed down on the soil.

KCook

well, see all those thousands of dollars i spent attempting to get an education, did something, i finally learned that allot of things we did back home on the farm such as spike aerators were not the best thing for the soil.