Power Trac Recommended Oils

/ Power Trac Recommended Oils #1  

Sedgewood

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT-1845
And to quote MossRoad <font color=green>AARGH!</font color=green>

In the <font color=red>Power-trac fan for hydraulic cooler</font color=red> thread

king-black-shoes posted <font color=green>Does anyone know why PT uses 5w30 for hydraulic fluid? I imagine it's cheaper but are there other pros and cons that anyone knows about? My manual says to use 5w30 motor oil and then to keep things interesting there's a sticker by the resevoir fill cap that says to only use 10w30 or 10w40.</font color=green>

and MossRoad responded <font color=green>Tom, I have the same confusion on mine. All the literature says 5W30 and then there is that huge sticker that says 10W40 right next to the filler cap!! AARGH! I called them and they said 5W30.</font color=green>

With my 50 hour service nearly due I thought I might run 'oils' by Sean at Power Trac while I had him on the line on another matter. He handed me off to Chris who he said is more conversant with oil issues. And naturally what Chris said is at odds with what MossRoad reported above (AARGH!). Lets see if I can get all this straight - I didn't take notes but jotted down what I could remember after we rang off.

For hydraulic oil: He said they put in 10w40 or 15w40 Havoline at the factory and add a quart of synthetic (additive? - I'm not sure what he meant). He said 5w30 is too light for hydrostatics - the lighter viscosity doesn't transmit power as well. He also said the higher viscosity oils don’t break down as fast as lower viscosity oils and hence loose their viscosity. He said it is ok to change to 5w30 if you need easier winter starting. Oil is pumping as soon as cranking begins so lower viscosity aids in cold cranking. He said a magnetic block heater on the hydraulic tank works good too. But be sure to change back to a heavier oil in warmer weather (save the old and put it back in). Ideally ($$$!!) he would use 10w30 Mobil 1 year round.

For engine oil: He said there is some type of breakin oil in the new engine (Again, I'm a bit fuzzy on just what he meant here). He recommended I change the oil but not the filter at 50 hours, then at 75 hours change oil and filter and use 10w30 Mobil 1.

/ Power Trac Recommended Oils #2  
Wow, I am confused.

My PT422 arrives tomorrow, quess I'll study the literature then try to figure it out.

The old standard for oil in a new engine is to change at 5 hours and then 50 hours there after. I've heard now a couple of times that new engines come with a special break in oil and not to change at 5 hours. Hopefully my engine manual will address this.

With regard to the hydraulic oil, it is not contaminated by the combustion process, but the viscosity and polymers do break down after use. Many other manuf.s recommend to change hydrostatic oil every two hundred hours. I would love to use synthetic oil for the hydraulics, but the cost of 10 gallons would almost buy another PT attachment!

What is everybody else thinking?

Duane

/ Power Trac Recommended Oils #3  
John:
My 50 hour is also nearly due. You're obviously having more fun than I am - you've done it in a couple fewer months.
Terry Estep at Power Trac encouraged me to call when I'm changing the hydraulic filter, so he can talk me through the bleed process. I'm probably going to do that Monday or Tuesday. Terry has only mentioned 10W 30 for the hydraulic system, but I haven't pressed him for other options.
My tentative plan is to change oil and filter in the engine at 50 hours, and change both again with a change to Amsoil or Mobil 1 between 75 and 100 hours, For the hydraulic system, I plan to go to synthetic in November, still 10W 30, if I can find 20 gallons for less than my remaining equity in my house. I didn't have any trouble cranking in January, but didn't try at less than 25 degrees.
I think Hans said he went to Mobil 1 after he pumped all his out through a damaged stump grinder seal. Maybe he will have some advice,

/ Power Trac Recommended Oils
Charlie I'm having waaaay too much fun. Chris did say Mobil 1 is available in 5 gal containers at about $3.75 per instead of $5.00 per. That's only $300 for an oil change, probably less than paying some guy to plow my 1,000ft drive all winter when Petey won't start - should it ever snow again. If I remember right we had something like a record 9 or 10 months between snowstorms from winter of 00 to winter 01 and not much since.

/ Power Trac Recommended Oils #5  
<font color=blue>If I remember right we had something like a record 9 or 10 months between snowstorms from winter of 00 to winter 01 and not much since.</font color=blue>

I got the Power Trac four days before the blizzard of 02. I had to plow the 2" drifts really fast - before they melted.

/ Power Trac Recommended Oils
<font color=blue>I got the Power Trac four days before the blizzard of 02. I had to plow the 2" drifts really fast - before they melted.</font color=blue> Two years ago in June we had our 100 year flood amid the wettest spring and summer I've ever seen. Go figure.

/ Power Trac Recommended Oils #8  
I changed my hydraulic filter at the 50 hour service interval Saturday. The filter that was on the machine was a MP Filtri CSG50P10A. This crosses over to a WIX 51249, and also NAPA 1249.

/ Power Trac Recommended Oils #9  
Re: Power Trac Filter Breakthrough

I just got off the phone with Terry Estep. He was on a cell phone, but said that when I call him back tomorrow, he will give me NAPA crossovers for the fuel and oil filters on the Deutz, as well as the big hydraulic fluid filter. Seems like we all will now be able to find the necessary filters locally.

/ Power Trac Recommended Oils #10  
Re: Power Trac Filter Breakthrough

Thanks Charlie!
not just standard 10 micron answer!