power trac gas leakage

/ power trac gas leakage #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
Has anyone had a problem with gas leaking at the fill opening? I have had a problem with this since I purchased my 422 two years ago. If i put over 2 gallons of gas in the tank when mowing along my rough hillsides gas sloches out around the fill cap. I have put new gasket compound around the opening twice ,no difference. The gasket around the lid looks good any suggestions ?

/ power trac gas leakage #2  
What kind of leakage are we talking about, trace amounts or puddles? I have trace amounts on my tractor when very full and rough terrain. I thought it was because the cap is vented.
PTRich

/ power trac gas leakage #3  
Mine has a plastic tank with a metal cap. I get a gas smell when the tank is near full and going over rough terrain. I assumed it was from the vented cap as well. It is never bad enough to see any liquid around the cap, I can just smell it. Maybe we should ask Power Trac about this.

/ power trac gas leakage
ON my 422 the outside of the plastic tank is wet with gas, to me it seems to be coming out between the metal and the plastic tank. I have tried different gasket material as power trac suggested. It could be because of the vented cap but I don't think so.

/ power trac gas leakage #5  
Is there gas beneath the tank or just on it?
PTRich

/ power trac gas leakage #6  
Now i wonder. I've been thinking that the Robbin engine seems to use more gas compared to my last tractor which had the Kohler Command 25hp. Could be leakage. Think i'll take a closer look at this the next time.

/ power trac gas leakage
Just appears to be on the outside of tank, I have never noticed any under it.

/ power trac gas leakage #9  
Yes, mine leaks a little too. The gas tank was just a little wet, nothing on the frame underneath the tank. If the cork ring in the gas cap was a bit thicker this probably wouldn't happen.