Power-trac fan for hydraulic cooler

/ Power-trac fan for hydraulic cooler #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Well, my fan still doesn't work. I've jumpered the wires around the temperature switch, and the fan doesn't start. I've still got some trouble-shooting to do (like finding and checking the fuse, checking the voltage with a multimeter, following the wiring, etc.). I've checked the temp on the oil cooler by touching the radiator with my hand, and it isn't hot enough to burn my hand or anything, although it is fairly warm.

Other than performing the catch-up maintenance, I'm trying to minimize working on the tractor and maximize working on the patio. Given that the oil doesn't seem to be that hot, do I run any risk of damaging any hydraulic components by running the tractor with the oil cooler fan presumably not working?

Also, an interesting maintenance note from yesterday. I had noticed that the travel speed of the machine had gotten slower and slower. Yesterday it would barely crawl backwards. I was thinking "oh boy, during all the screwing around with the busted hydraulic hoses, have I damaged the main hydraulic pump?" Then I recalled that I've grinded several stumps over the past week, and that slings tons of wood shreds and dirt at the bottom front of the tractor, and there's two slots in the front that open to the housing where the forward/reverse rocker pedal (terminology?) is attached. So, I decided to take the side panel off this housing and have a look. Sure enough, there was about a ton of wood shreds inside the housing where the stump grinder has slung the stuff through the slots in the front. The pedal assembly didn't have enough "rock" for it to properly activate forward and especially reverse! So, I took the panel on the other side off and blew it out with the air compressor, and now it moves as quickly as it did when I got it 7 days ago! Whew!

By the way, I think I kinda like the sounds that this hydraulic driven machine makes. There's this high-pitched kind of mult-frequency sound that's kind of eerie. It reminds me of that old black-n-white horror movie "Them" that was about a nest of giant ants on a rampage (they kind of made that same sound). Funny, eh?

Regards,
Dave

/ Power-trac fan for hydraulic cooler #2  
That hydro whine is cool noise to me too /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Get used to removing those side panels. Part of the maintenance that has to be done every 8 hours of operation on my PT425 requires removing those panles and lubing up the linkages that are in there. On mine, there are several grease zerks as well as several ball type joints. Also, there is a grease zerk under the center console top plate. Actually, there was no grease zerk, just a hole in the center of a bolt. It was threaded for a grease zerk, but Power Trac said they have to leave the zerk out so that the cover plate will fit. I installed an angled zerk and the cover fit right over it. I just keep the right sized wrench right next to my grease gun and can of spray grease. It only takes a few minutes.

/ Power-trac fan for hydraulic cooler #3  
Dave,
Have you run power directly to the fan? I would hate to see you spend all that time, and find out is is just a bad fan. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

/ Power-trac fan for hydraulic cooler #4  
I agree, run power straight to the fan. My fuse blew when a stick got stuck in the fan once.
PTRich

/ Power-trac fan for hydraulic cooler
I'll give it a try. Thanks!

/ Power-trac fan for hydraulic cooler #6  
I had my cooling fan replaced under warranty at about 50 hrs. The bearings had worn and the fuse blew. Power Trac sent a new one I returned the old. No problem since then.
andrew

/ Power-trac fan for hydraulic cooler #8  
The fan on my PT422 stopped working. The problem was a crimp-on wire tap were the oil temp sender gets power from the ignition switch (via the wire harness white wire). The same intermitant connection at times would cut power to my carb. kill solenoid and shut down the motor. Needless to say I'm now a little too familiar with the wiring on my new rig. I also had my first hose rupture. I didn't notice it until a few hours later so I'm thinking of applying for Super-Fund status for my yard. The worst part was not being able to use the bucket to scoop up the contaminated soil. I had to use a SHOVEL!!! Power-trac sent my new hose and I fished it in and hooked it up yesterday. Then replaced the lost fluid and bled out the air (hose was for a wheel motor). Everything seems to work now. Does anyone know why PT uses 5w30 for hydraulic fluid? I imagine it's cheaper but are there other pros and cons that anyone knows about? My manual says to use 5w30 motor oil and then to keep things interesting there's a sticker by the resevoir fill cap that says to only use 10w30 or 10w40. Perhaps they mean in the engine. Anyway I'm still impressed by this machine. I've scraped top-soil off my 1200 sq. ft. of new driveway and spread 40 tons of gravel. In addition I've back-filled 128 feet of new foundation and moved a huge stone pile for stone walls.This took 33 hours of machine time, about 2 hours of cleaning, greasing and motor oil replacing and a mess of time diagnosing the wiring problem. I'm bundling all my building materials as the forks work great for that. I just finished a 1 1/2 cubic yard dumpster that I can fill with waste materials and drive onto my trailer instead of always having a trailer full of trash. I would love to have a small version of the Bobcat dumping hopper for moving loads of top-soil around my property but can't justify the expense (yet). Thanks for all the input. Tom Stapleton

/ Power-trac fan for hydraulic cooler #9  
Tom, I have the same confusion on mine. All the literature says 5W30 and then there is that huge sticker that says 10W40 right next to the filler cap!! AARGH! I called them and they said 5W30.

/ Power-trac fan for hydraulic cooler #10  
Good detective work finding the bad wire crimp. You must have been a little concerned at first, it being a new tractor and all, and then relieved to find a relatively minor problem. Did you call Power Trac service for help finding the problem?

Duane