Power-trac 418 vs. Yanmar 1500D w/FEL?

/ Power-trac 418 vs. Yanmar 1500D w/FEL? #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Hi folks! I originally posted this on the Yanmar group (without realizing there was a Power-trac discussion here), and someone suggested I check out this discussion and/or repost here. Original post below.

I'm a relative newbie to tractors in general (although I've done quite a bit of research and messageboard reading). I've got a small yard to do a lot of work in, so this Power-trac sounds ideal. If any of you own both and can post some advantages/disadvantages, I'd really, really appreciate it!

I gather from some of the reading on this group so far that the Power-trac (even the small 418) is about as powerful as a Toro Dingo, and probably comparable to a Yanmar 1500D or 1300D w/FEL, but much cheaper used. Again, any thoughts or advice appreciated.

One more quick question: I'll really need the trencher attachment. How's the availability of used trenchers for a 1990 418 (the 3-pin attachment method rather than the current quick-attach method)?

First project: a 400 sq ft patio on unlevel ground using pavers and retaining wall blocks (ie. lots of digging involved).

Best regards,
Dave

---Original post below:

Hi folks!

I've been looking for awhile for a Yanmar 1500D with a front loader or an equivalent compact tractor local to me (within say, 50-100 miles or so).

I've found a Power-trac 418 that someone is selling locally. This is a small articulated tractor with built-in hydraulics, 4 wheel hydrostatic drive. All attachments hook to the front (like a Toro Dingo). The guy selling has the bucket attachment, a stump grinder attachment, and a power auger attachment. It has an 18 hp Briggs engine that's 2 years old. It's almost like a Toro Dingo skid steer that you sit on, except it's articulated and won't tear up the lawn like a skid steer will.
The web-site of the mfg is www.power-trac.com, so check it out (look at the 422).

The guy's asking price is $3500, and I've priced a similarly equiped new one at between $9K-10K.

What I'm wondering is this: It's cheaper than any Yanmar 1500D w/FEL that I've found (including purchase price and shipping), and it's probably a little lighter duty, plus is gas-powered. Obviously, power auger attachments are available for compact tractors, but I haven't seen any trencher attachments, which is something I need (and it's available for the power-trac).

Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead an buy this Power-trac, or continue to wait for a traditional compact tractor w/FEL. Any suggestions or comment? Has anyone used a Power-trac and able to compare it to a compact tractor in terms of functionality?

Best regards,
Dave

/ Power-trac 418 vs. Yanmar 1500D w/FEL? #2  
I don't have any experience with the Yanmar, but I do know that one advantage the Power Trac has over a 3 point hitch. A 3pt hitch only uses gravity to push down while the Power Trac has hydraulic arms that can actually push down. You can bring the weight of the tractor down on the implement. So post augering would be much faster with the Power Trac.

I saw the old style mounting in the Power Trac promotional videos.

I have found one landscaper that wanted to sell both his PT400 series tractors and buy a bigger one, but that was the only used one that I have ever seen.

You might want to check the used unit for wear. Check all of the hoses and fittings for leaks. Check the big ball type joint under the seat and the one under that at the bottom of the tractor for wear as well. As I recall the hydraulic cyliders were pinned in. Check them for wear as well. If possible, put the bucket on and try to dig up some undisturbed soil, not a loose pile. This is a good way to test the strenght of the unit to see if it will do what you want. Check the color of the hydraulic oil as well as the engine oil. And also look under the engine in the engine compartment for any leaks.

Someone mentioned the Power Trac might have some used implements for sale. You might want to check with them.

Hope this helps.